align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Manchester Film Fans Meetup Group Message Board › FAVOURITE FILMS OF 2012

FAVOURITE FILMS OF 2012

Dave S.
user 34126132
Prestwich, GB
Post #: 4
An essential topic at this time of year - what have been your favourite films of 2012?

Doesn't have to be something you saw with the group, obviously...

KAHAANI

Makes you rethink what Bollywood means. A smart grown-up thriller with amazing cinematography and an amazing lead performance.

BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD

An audiovisual feast, with another couple of compelling performances from the non-actor leads.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE

With the opportunity to screw up 5 years of work in just two hours Marvel instead slam-dunked a witty and action-packed movie that shifted the whole franchise up a couple of gears.

DREDD

One of the most elegantly simple movies I've seen in a long time. I was getting hints of an Eastwood western from Dredd's unflinching progress.

And the one that I think I've missed out on by not seeing...

ARGO
A former member
Post #: 1
I agree with Dredd and Avengers, I loved both. I'd have to include Life of Pi 3D; which is probably one of the most visually inspiring films I've seen in a long while. Its a must to see the 3D version, 2D just cannot do the effects justice. I also really enjoyed The Hobbit and can't wait for the next two parts. Looking forward to watching Les Miserables and Man of Steel soon.
JO
user 3763738
Manchester, GB
Post #: 7,284
Well, I don't think that last year was a vintage one. I'm bored to death of super hero movies and reboots (apart from Iron Man). How long before Batman gets reimagined? Give us a break. I guess it's the weight of expectation from some films. I really enjoyed Prometheus, it has some memorable scenes and it's admirable that a huge sci-fi blockbuster tries to strive for more, but its (mainly script) faults become more apparent on the small screen. That said, I wasn't expecting much for Dredd and it was great. I used to read 2000AD from about 1979 for many years and it just captured the insanity of Mega City One really well. A gritty mix of John Carpenter and Robocop with visual flair. As for this year, I've really enjoyed Life of Pi even if it was only in 2D. The ship sinking scene was astonishing and it's nice to have the addled by five bottles of wine a day Gerard Depardieu as the ship's cook. Argo I would like to see. Not sure about Lincoln. I'm sure Daniel Day Lewis does a fine reedy voiced job.
Chris
user 30286842
Manchester, GB
Post #: 1
Of the films I got around to seeing, The Artist and Kid with a Bike. Of those I still intend to, I imagine Haneke once again delivers with Amour. Other than that, the handful of films I watched last year were at home and made in previous years. A highlight was four Harold Lloyd films (Safety Last, Grandma's Boy, The Freshman, and Speedy) in the space of a week. The sequence of events in those films is truly inspiring. Not one weak link in the chain.
Gabrielle
user 118271942
Manchester, GB
Post #: 5
Not a very strong year for me.I'd go with Looper or Dark Knight Rises.Maybe Disconnect as well.