addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Manchester Film Fans Meetup Group Message Board › What was the last film you saw?

What was the last film you saw?

Fiona
user 79351092
Manchester, GB
Post #: 1
Thelma and Louise. One of my favourite films of all time!
JO
user 3763738
Manchester, GB
Post #: 7,354
Well, it's good to have a comfort film. I finally got around to watching The Dark Knight Rises which was alright, but I don't really know what the fuss was about. The villain does seem to have a jockstrap attached to his face and it always bugs me that whenever Batman gets his mask ripped off, he never has two big make-up panda eyes to cover the mask to skin shortfall. This issue was definitely fudged in this film as Bane rips it off, but Batman turns away in a "not the face" kind of way. Please give us at least 10 years before the next Batman.
JO
user 3763738
Manchester, GB
Post #: 7,650
Went to see Mud at the Cornerhouse this afternoon which was brilliant. I've been after a southern noir sort of film for a long time and this fitted the bill. Not exactly Night of the Hunter and not quite Red Rock West but a mix somewhere along the line. Great cinematography of rural Mississippi replete with rusting farm machinery, swamps, crossed morals and bounty hunters. A bit of Huck Finn thrown in there too. Well worth a watch. I might see Star Trek in 3D Imax tomorrow as a contrast.
A former member
Post #: 96
I agree JO, Mud is by far one of the best films out this year. Not to be overlooked if it's still being screened anywhere. "Best seen on the big screen" :)
JO
user 3763738
Manchester, GB
Post #: 7,845
I watched the 1960 George Pal version of The Time Machine with Rod Taylor last night which I really enjoyed. Quite charming and the Morlocks are quite effective. I really love 50s and 60s sci-fi. Are there ever any film festivals showing this stuff?
Mark
o-I-o
Manchester, GB
Post #: 10
Are there ever any film festivals showing this stuff?

You might check out The Festival of Fantastic Films
JO
user 3763738
Manchester, GB
Post #: 7,862
Are there ever any film festivals showing this stuff?

You might check out The Festival of Fantastic Films

Thanks for that. I'll explore the site and looks like something keeping an eye on.

JO
user 3763738
Manchester, GB
Post #: 8,175
I really enjoyed Iron Man 3. Ben Kingsley is priceless in it, but I don't want to give it away. I liked the Croydon gag.
JO
user 3763738
Manchester, GB
Post #: 8,588
I saw Filth recently which was not an easy watch it has to be said. I've not read the book so I can't compare. I've started a bit of a collection of 50s/60s sci fi films which I love. Got The Day The Earth Caught Fire the other day as well as When Worlds Collide. I'd love to see some of this stuff on a big screen. Invaders From Mars is a bit expensive at the moment. Got Elysium to watch later if I can be bothered.
JO
user 3763738
Manchester, GB
Post #: 9,006
I really liked Under The Skin. It's really stuck with me. A film that actually seems to explore what it might be like to be truly alien. I suppose Glasgow is as good a setting as any. Bizarre bits where she ends up watching Tommy Cooper on TV. Nice to see a film with pretty much no exposition for a change. Anybody else watch this? I got so bored of James Bond over the years, but I thought Skyfall was great. Good villain, brilliant cinematography and nice to see Bond a bit knackered.