Liam Doherty is a graduate student at UBC. His specialty is teaching Chinese as a foreign language. As a learner himself, he has successfully managed to know Chinese better than average native speakers of Chinese.
With lots of first hand experiences and the professional training, Liam has worked on how to teach CSL speakers to conquer the four tones in Mandarin. He is preparing the lesson plan and we will have him as our guest speaker on November 13 evening.
Lesson plan rundown:
1. Introduction (5 min.)
2. Quick Review: Mandarin Tones (20 min.)
3. Group Discussion: Common Myths About Tones (20 min.)
4. How to Master the Four Tones (20 min.)
5. Social Exercise/Practise: Four Tones Bingo! (30 min.)
6. Group Discussion / Round 1 Winners (10 min.)
7. Bingo Round 2 (30 min.)
8. Group Discussion / Round 2 Winners (10 min.)
9. DIY: Make Your Own Tone Correction Machine! (5 min.)