addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Natural History Society of Maryland Message Board › Secret Lives of Freshwater Mussels

Secret Lives of Freshwater Mussels

This message board is read-only.

Kevin
Kevinwk7
Bowie, MD
Post #: 2
I thought this might be of interest to other MNHS members. Kevin

Wednesday, September 7, 2011, 7:00 PM
Title: Stranger than Fiction: The Secret Lives of Freshwater Mussels By Bill Lellis and Heather Galbraith

(PDF of Flyer <http://www.usgs.gov/p...­ 1 MB)

Within the rivers, streams, and lakes of North America live over 200 species of freshwater mussels that share an amazing life history. To metamorphose from larvae to adult, the mussels must pass through a parasitic phase on the gills of freshwater fish. To trick the fish into accepting their larvae, female mussels have developed a complex array of lures and baits to attract and fool their unsuspecting hosts. This talk will explore the fascinating reproductive biology and ecological role of one of nature’s most sophisticated fishermen.
Linda D.
user 13455256
Group Organizer
Lutherville Timonium, MD
Post #: 2
Sounds interesting, but the link didn't lead to the PDF.
Kevin
Kevinwk7
Bowie, MD
Post #: 3
Linda
I didn't see your reply until just now, sorry.
The Mussels' lecture is happening at USGS in Reston VA at 7pm this Wed 9/7/11.
Try this link, it worked for me a couple of minutes ago. http://www.usgs.gov/p...­
I doubt there will be a problem but their website has a search box if there is.
Kevin