NYC Meatshare Message Board › Summer CSA -- with eggs, chicken, and organic local veggies

Summer CSA -- with eggs, chicken, and organic local veggies

Jeanne D.
user 10503723
New York, NY
Post #: 8
I'm interested in starting our own summer meatshare CSA, in keeping with the healthiest standards.

Is anyone else interested? It would be a summer share -- say mid-June - September (depending on growing season). We would get eggs, chicken, and tons of fresh, local, organic produce. Since we would be ordering in advance, we would get bulk rates on our food -- which will be much better than green market prices.

It would be small, but we would be the sole service of the farmer. This means we will get their top quality veggies, eggs, etc -- because they will not be saving the best to sell at the farmers market.

I would ask everyone to volunteer -- to host a pick-up site, help at pick-up site, deliver, organize, collect money, etc. If you are not able to volunteer, we would ask for some monetary contribution.

We could arrange for delivery -- for an additional fee (say <$5 per delivery, to ensure - we can reach out to those that cannot make it to the drop-off site each week).

The beauty of this -- if we keep it small -- say 20 odd members, than we can customize a bit. For example, if you are away one week, you could pick up a double share the week before or after, as long as you give the farmer a week's notice. We could do it on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.

The farmer would also invite us up for a farm day/weekend at the end of the summer -- for their first lamb slaughter. This would be a PRIME invite for such tender meat.

Let me know if you are interested and if you want to help me plan.

Thanks,
Jeanne

A former member
Post #: 1
Jeanne,

What farm are you looking to work with?

-adam
Jeanne D.
user 10503723
New York, NY
Post #: 9
B&Y farms. Judy, the paleo farmer offered it to us. If we decide not to do the share with her, she is going to sell at the Greenmarket. But, due to Greenmarket fees, her prices will be higher than what she can sell to us directly for.

We were thinking of offering 2 or 3 options: either whole share & half-share OR Single share, couple share, and family share.

Her land has been completely unsprayed -- (i.e., no chemicals whatsoever for the past 19 years -- since she bought her property).

We would also get first dibs on her chickens which will be available starting in early July -- right after July 4th.

The beauty of this arrangement would be that we see our farmer each week when we pick up our goods. She will also keep us updated on how the chickens, pigs, and lambs are doing.

The difficulties would be location. We could run it out of my apartment, but that would may discourage some people who aren't convenient to the UES. So, we were thinking of offering a few drop off sites and/or offer delivery.

Judy is also going to invite us all up for her first lamb harvest in August. We are all invited to camp out on her land -- or you can get a hotel room if camping isn't your thing, or drive back that night. Her farm is in the finger lakes - and is a 3-4 hour drive from NYC.
A former member
Post #: 2
This sounds promising, and thanks for the info. Do you know what kind of chickens, pork, and lamb she is raising? Also, is there a list of the veggies that she plans to harvest throughout the summer?

I could probably offer a drop-off location at our house in South Slope—23rd St. and 7th Ave.

Maggie
user 4979449
Sayville, NY
I'm definitely interested. Since I live in Suffolk County I would not be able to be a Drop off site but I would be willing to take the drive to help with pick up or contribute financially if needed. Let me know what I can do to help.
Jeanne D.
user 10503723
New York, NY
Post #: 10
B&Y farms raises all Heritage Breed animals: Tunis Lambs, Poulet Rouge Chickens, and Tamworth Pigs. They are considering Hereford pigs this year as well.

Judy, could you provide us with a list of produce that you provide?
Caspar H.
user 13541507
New York, NY
I would be interested in a Family sized share (weekly, biweekly, whatever is possible) if there would be a West Village drop off.
-Caspar
Jeanne D.
user 10503723
New York, NY
Post #: 11
This is what B&Y Farms will have available (if Mother Nature cooperates) for us this summer/fall:

June/July
cucumber
Lettuce - all varieties
Pak Choys
radishes
early turnips
yellow crookneck summer squash
green lebanese zuchinni
mustard greens
early head cabbage
string beans
red new potatoes (late July)
cilantro
basil
parsley

August/September/October

peppers
tomatillos
tomatoes: heirloom varieties
fall lettuce
collards
yukon gold potatoes
yellow/green string beans
beets
red cabbage
onions
winter squash: butternut, delicata, acorns, buttercup, red kuri, pumpkin
fall turnips
daikon radish
yams
brocolli
collards
mustard greens
dandelion greens
eggplant
cauliflower
leeks

apples*
blueberries*

*from neighboring farm - unsprayed, not certified organic

A former member
Post #: 2
I'd be interested in a couples share. Our place is near 58th and 4th Ave in Brooklyn and could serve as a pickup post, though it might be a little out of the way.
Jeanne D.
user 10503723
New York, NY
Post #: 12
Thanks for everyone's positive response's -- It looks like we could have 2 drop-off points 1) Brooklyn & 2) UES - Manhattan.

In order to most benefit us, B&Y farms, would like to do this "farmer-market" style. This is more user-friendly way of doing CSA. Not typical in NYC -- but it is how we ran our CSA when I went to the markets upstate in Saratoga Springs.

Basically, the farmers will bring all their produce -- and give us guidelines for picking. If you do opt for delivery - we will pack your produce at the pick-up site.

For example:

Family share: 2 squash, 3 peppers, and 7 other items (max 4 pints berries).
Half Share: 1 squash, 2 peppers and 3 other items (max 2 pints berries).

The amount you get depends on how the crops are yielding at the time. At the beginning and end of the season, it is usually smaller. Mid-July through August is usually most prosperous.

We would also do an egg share. This means you could sign up for 1/2 dozen eggs, 1 dozen, or 2 dozen - on a weekly basis.

You could also sign up for the chicken share. They will start becoming available the first or 2nd week in July.

It looks live we have about 6 positive responses. If you are interested, please respond to this discussion, or send me an email. If we have about 20 interested people by mid-April, we will move forward with the planning.

Thanks,
Jeanne