NYC Meatshare Message Board › what do you do with the sliced fresh bacon from the pig shares?

what do you do with the sliced fresh bacon from the pig shares?

Annie
superfastreader
Woodside, NY
Post #: 1
I am stumped for how to prepare the sliced fresh bacon that we get. All the recipes I can find online for marinating or home-curing assume that you're using unsliced pork belly. I did find one recipe for faking a cure with sliced fresh bacon but it used a ton of sugar and liquid smoke.

This time, I tried marinating it overnight with coconut aminos, lemon juice, scallions, and ginger. The flavor was only okay, and it didn't quite penetrate the meat.

I've tried roasting it the same way I do regular bacon (cold oven, 400 for 20-25 minutes) and it just doesn't quite come out because it's so fatty and the slices are so thick.

Anyway, just looking for success stories, particularly if they're relatively kid-friendly (not spicy or nouveau). We eat paleo + rice in our house.
michael s
michaelRB
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 5
Annie, are you willing to try liquid smoke?
isaac and m.
user 29973642
New York, NY
Post #: 4
If you find it difficult to simply pan cook it and eat it, or cut in into bits and use it in a frittata, try this:
http://www.trendhunte...­
;)
Annie
superfastreader
Woodside, NY
Post #: 2
I'm not opposed to liquid smoke but I might draw the line at a meat suit :)

I ended up boiling it in water to render out the fat and then crisped it up, and it was just delicious. Seasoned only with salt and pepper. And I ended up with a cup of bacon fat!
Nagla R.
user 95959122
Bronx, NY
Post #: 1
I put sea salt, black pepper and oregano and in the oven at 350 until nice and golden. The plus I get bacon fat for future experiments
isaac and m.
user 29973642
New York, NY
Post #: 5
We just tile a hot cast iron with slices and let it render at medium heat for 4 minutes on either side or until it's crispy. Remove the strips and now there is plenty of fat for cooking home fries, and when those are done, a few sunny side up eggs... brunch is ready.