The Washington DC Meditation Meetup Group Message Board › RATHAYATRA (CHARIOT PARADE), FESTIVAL of INDIA
|A former member||
BALTIMORE'S FIFTH ANNUAL (Reminder)
RATHAYATRA (CHARIOT PARADE), FESTIVAL of INDIA
Hare Krishna Temple, Baltimore, MD
200 Bloomsbury Ave., Catonsville, MD 21228
www.baltimorekrishna.com ? firstname.lastname@example.org ? 410.747-7134
Mayor Sheila Dixon has officially proclaimed Baltimores' first Rathayatra Day on Saturday, May 19th. Please forward the attached flyer to all your friends and relatives.
As usual, all are welcome, regardless of religious/spiritual affiliation, ethnic origin, race, nationality, language or any other temporary bodily designation in this lifetime.
When: SAT., MAY 19, 2007, 12 noon - 6 pm
Rathyatra begins at Key Highway and Light Street at the Baltimore Inner Harbor behind the Science Center, and ends at McKeldin Square at Pratt and Light Streets.
Rathyatra time 12 noon - 2 pm
followed by the
FESTIVAL OF INDIA 2 - 6 pm
at McKeldin Square
? FREE 5 course feast
? Live music and drama, completely ecstatic kirtans
? Cultural exhibits
? Dance performances
? Indian gift shops
? Books on yoga and meditation
? Spiritual discussions
Keep your eyes open for signs directing you to parking facilities. There is plenty of metered street and garage parking in the inner harbor area near the festival site. A few blocks north of the site, there are free street parking spots. Carpooling, public transportation could be viable options. A lot of people go from the DC area. If you can handle more fun in a day, the aquarium and science center are within a block of the festival site.
Here is a list of recent additional notes about the Rathayatra:
1. The Rathayatra begins at noon at the corner of Light street and Key Highway behind the Science Center at Baltimores' Inner Harbor. However, the Deities will be arriving at approximately 11:00a.m. Please try to come at that time so the Deities can enjoy kirtan while they are preparing to be pulled.
2. Be prepared to walk for about 1 1/2- 2 hours. Please come to Festival of India site if you can not walk in the Rathyatra. For little children, bring strollers.
3. In case it is hot and sunny, bring a hat, sunscreen, water bottle, etc. The seating area at the festival will be covered by tents.
4. In case of rain, the Rathayatra and Festival WILL still go on.
5. Please bring fresh and dry fruits and nuts (uncooked) for offerings to be made to the Deities throughout the afternoon.
6. If you can help with prasadam servout during the festival, please approach Jaya Kesava Prabhu at the prasadam booth. Prasadam servout begins at 2:00p.m.
7. If you can help set up the Festival of India on Friday evening, please contact Sunanda das at 410/747-7134 or email@example.com.
8. Bring your own instruments such as mrdangas, karatals, gongs, etc.
Several thousand people are served free prasadam during the Rathyatra. Help is needed in cutting vegetables & cooking prasadam at the Hare Krishna temple in Potomac, MD.
Volunteer times: Friday May 18th, 6 - 9 pm, Saturday May 19th, 6 - 10 am.
Baltimore Rathyatra/Festival of India Contacts
Pradymna Prabhu, firstname.lastname@example.org, 410-908-6380, 410-833-8609
Sunanda Prabhu, email@example.com, 410-747-7134
Sreyas Panchigar, firstname.lastname@example.org, 443-506-2600
Learn more about the Rathyatra tradition :
Watch last year's Rathyatra in Jagannath Puri