add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Silicon Valley Meditation Meetup Group Message Board › Intention, Desire & Detachment

Intention, Desire & Detachment

Brett J.
user 2530843
Group Organizer
San Jose, CA
Post #: 3
Someone in the class was asking for more clarification about intention, desire and detachment and how it relates to what we learn in foundational class. The questions and answers are below

Q: In David's talk , he said 'we don't always get what we want, but we always get what we expect.' But, isn't that being attached to the outcome?

A: Great question and what David is saying is in alignment with what we are learning.

When he says we always get what we expect, we do. We don't get what we want as we defined it in class because wanting has a lacking feeling to it. We are vibrational beings. Consciousness creates from our feeling states more than our thoughts. That wanting feeling arises because you don't have it. Staying in the feeling state of wanting makes sure that it never manifests for us.

Expectancy does not have attachment to the outcome because there's no wanting in expectancy. Attachment is wanting. There's no feeling of wanting in expecting. Like David's classic example of his dad sending him a check when he asks for money. He is in expectancy now, there's no wanting at all because he knows the money is already on its way. The lacking feeling is gone.

So with our intentions and desires, we hold the intention and we drop the wanting (desire, lacking feeling) . When we do this we reside in the well being feeling of our essential nature and our intention will manifest in due time.

Q: In the foundational class I am taking, they say that we must believe it, to make it so. To make the leap of faith from doubt to 'feeling' that something will manifest, one tool they say to use is affirmations. I find that when I get inspiration from my Essential Nature, that changes my expectations. I also find when my intuition tells me what is best to expect, that this also can change my expectations. Are there any other tools that one can use to help make the leap of faith to feel more positive about an outcome, besides these three?

A: Foundational is great. The core principles are right on. There is one subtle and important difference about how to handle the negative thinking that neutralizes your positive intentions in the two teachings however (Meditation class vs. Foundational)

Foundational is telling you believe it and it will make it so. This is true in both teachings. So what stops you from believing? Your doubts and negative thinking. Your thought about your goal has creative power but you neutralize it with your doubts and negative thinking. So how do you make the leap from doubt and negativity to feeling positive so that your intention can emerge?

Their prescription is to pray and affirm, pray and affirm. In so doing you will override your negativity and finally arrive at the place where your consciousness is in a positive feeling state so that the intention will find expression. This does work but it takes much effort and energy to try and create a positive feeling and attitude. Through prayer and affirmation you are using the mind and ego to generate positive thoughts and feelings to drown out the doubts and negativity until you can feel positively about your goal. One challenge with this is that we often aren't feeling positive. We have all done affirmations when we just weren't feeling it. The problem with this is sometimes negativity gets buried or suppressed in your subconscious and can resurface later whether you get your goal or not.

The path according to Meditation is simpler. As we learned in class your essential nature is already positive. You feel it when the mind goes quiet. You are already an unlimited being. There's nothing that needs to be added to your consciousness to remind you of this, no affirmations. Nothing. The only thing to do is to get quiet and simply drop your attachment (desire) which is driving of all of your negative thinking (the 90% of the 50,0000 thoughts we have a day). The more you drop your attachment to all things, the quieter your mind gets, the more your other two systems (inspiration and intuition) kick in and the more peaceful and powerful you become. (More on 'how' to do this later)

The difference lies in the approach. Foundational class will have you doing something so that you can get your goal. The meditation teachings will tell you just to Stop, be still and Know, are already are that which you are seeking. In that knowing of the Self anything is possible. There's nothing to do, simply drop your desire so you can FEEL your essential nature. Abide in that feeling state as much as possible and your goal will spontaneously emerge. Again, what does an unlimited being need to do to have something happen??.....Simply Allow it.

Ultimately ,we don't get what we pray for, we get what we pray from. Both methods have the same intention of having you arrive in a positive feeling state. Its just the approach that differs.

I've practiced foundational principles for 12 years and the 7 spiritual laws for 6 years now and for me personally the meditation approach works better for me. I can say that the ease, power and integrity of my creations has increased tremendously making this small but powerful shift.

As for 'how' to drop desire, in this week's class I will introduce you to a simple technique that Deepak introduced to me for dropping desire (attachment) and negativity. It is the most powerful tool for realizing goals and your essential nature that I have ever encountered.

Q; Will you please elaborate on your saying: simply drop your attachment (desire) which is driving of all of your negative thinking

A: this thing about 'drop your attachment (desire) which is driving of all of your negative thinking?' is this: All thought is creative. Your intentions are derailed by all the thoughts, doubts and fears that arise after you set your intention. If you examine what is driving all those negative thoughts it is attachment (desire). If you look in your own meditations underneath almost every thought is a subtle wanting. A lacking feeling, a wanting, a feeling that you don't have it. No amount of thinking (affirmations) will take away that feeling. You can, however, let go of that lacking feeling and when you do your mind will quiet down and you drop back into the feeling of essential nature. When you are abiding in the feeling essence of your essential nature, the manifestation of your desires arises spontaneously and effortlessly.

What makes a Masters ability to manifest so powerful is that being deeply rooted in essential nature he/she knows and feels himself as the all. In the experience of being the all, there is no desire whatsoever. (What would an unlimited being ever want for?...Nothing) Because of this, when he has an intention it is completely without attachment (desire) and there are no conscious or subconscious thoughts contrary to his intention. The problem is that when the average person has an intention its wrapped in desire and ends up being muddled up with a bunch of conscious and subconscious thoughts to the contrary, weakening the intention and preventing it from coming to fruition.

If you drop desire your mind becomes quiet, one-pointed and very, very powerful

"Until a mind can achieve peace and quiet, it is unlikely to achieve anything else" ~ Lester Levinson