Portland Mindfulness Meetup Group Message Board Mindful discussions › Starting a Mindfulness Practice

Starting a Mindfulness Practice

TomC
user 7931343
Group Organizer
South Portland, ME
Post #: 13
I ran across this PDF article about starting a mindfulness practice. It is clear and to the point, and I thought it might be helpful for those of you out there who are seeking to start or augment your practice.

http://www.livingmind...­

Having a daily or regular practice can really help cultivate greater awareness and clarity in our lives. The practice helps us stay grounded in what Eckhart Tolle calls our formless nature, and keeps us from identifying too much with our thoughts and emotions. The idea is to not stop the thoughts and emotions, or push them away, but rather to cultivate non-judgmental awareness so we can create more space in our lives to respond with wisdom and compassion, rather than on impulsiveness or emotion.

If you have resources you'd like to share with the group, please feel free to use the message board. It's a great way to get your ideas and thoughts out there. And I'm always open to ideas about how we can use the venue to cultivate spiritual community, so feel free to share by emailing me.

Best wishes,
Tom
A former member
Post #: 1
Thanks for posting this, Tom. I'm just getting to know this Meetup group, and look forward to becoming a more active participant. I appreciate your leadership and commitment.