add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Metro Detroit WordPress Meetup Message Board › New Page not publishing, issues with uploads, too!

New Page not publishing, issues with uploads, too!

Cleo P.
user 10589702
Ferndale, MI
Post #: 8
Hey, I am beating my head against a wall trying to do something that has always been simple in the past.

My dog club which has a wordpress site at is hosting a seminar next February. I'd like to add a page promoting the seminar, including jpg images of the two books that will be used as workbooks and a link to a pdf flyer/registration form.

When I create the page, everything is fine until I publish it, at which point it goes completely blank. The code looks normal to me, no different than it looked as a draft.

I can upload the pdf and the images using the media library, but again, I can't see a darn thing when I insert or link to them. I've uploaded the pdf to my personal site and then I can navigate to it from the link when the page is in draft form, but it disappears along with the page after I publish it.

I recently changed the theme to 2010 which got rid of some deprecation errors, this is the first major edit attempt since then. Anything I'm missing with the newer theme? This is just so weird! I've tried in both Mozilla and in Internet Explorer, but I've never had any trouble making changes like this in the past.

The page I added is currently called Seminar, I would like it to be a longer name with the presenter's name in it and I would like it to be a child of the Welcome page. The page name will appear just fine in any of these locations, just nothing shows up when you click on t the link.

Suggestions welcome!

Deborah E.
user 11526574
Canton, MI
Post #: 4
Hi Cleo,

Just read your message, did you find a solution?
Cleo P.
user 10589702
Ferndale, MI
Post #: 9
Not yet - I gave myself a day off from working on it; I may give it another try this afternoon and play around with promoting it from my personal blog to see if the files work there.

Clarkston, MI
Post #: 13

Some things that come to mind for troubleshooting:

• Mismatched HTML tags. You would be surprised at the havoc a missing </h4> can wreak...
  • Illegal characters in the names of the PDF file
  • You may have a plugin conflict
  • Try creating a brand new page with the name you want and no content. Will it work?

I'm tied up for a couple of days yet, so if you haven't found an answer by Friday night let's make a few minutes to talk over the weekend.

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello Cleo,

You mentioned that you upgraded to 2010. Have you updated your permalink settings since?

I've clicked on all the links on the nav and it takes me to a blank page but when I typed in­ I was able to view a page.

Hope that fixes it.

Cleo P.
user 10589702
Ferndale, MI
Post #: 10

That theory sounds like it might be on the right track; this is just an informational site and I usually only update it a couple times a year when I change over to info about next year's show or upload photos from the latest show. So I don't test the functionality often and of course, I cannot for the life of me remember how to make the changes you suggest, I do remember changing from the default permalink structure in the past. I'm meeting with Deborah E-O tomorrow and hopefully we'll figure it out!

A former member
Post #: 2
Sometime all you have to do is save it again. Sounds weird but it's happened to me a couple of times before esp after moving the site or updating themes.

If you want to check it out. The permalink settings is under settings in the WP dashboard. Make sure that custom is selected and %postname% is entered on the field.

Most likely that is what its already set to and all you have to do is save it again. I will be at Panera also tomorrow so we can take a look at it there too.