Metro Detroit WordPress Meetup Message Board › Alternative to NextGEN Gallery plugin?

Alternative to NextGEN Gallery plugin?

Maria G.
user 12793461
Livonia, MI
Post #: 3
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know an alternative to the NextGEN Gallery plugin? This plugin never seems to work entirely on any Wordpress site I try. The scripts don't seem to ever attach or something in my page posts because the lightbox effects appear clunky.

I'm just looking to post a basic gallery of pictures within a post. Ideally I am looking for thumbnail view that expands via lightbox. I'm not interested in slideshows. I want the user to have the ability to choose what image they would like to see.

I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you in advance for your time and help. I hope to make it to some meetings this summer. It's been far too long since I've had time to make one. Great to see the group growing.

Maria Gosur
Debbie
user 9457439
Royal Oak, MI
Post #: 1
If you just want a gallery on a page or post you can use the built in functionality in WordPress for Gallery and then a JQuery plugin for Lightbox so it open up in that.

If you add all the images to the post/page and then go back to the where you add content on your page, put your cursor where you would like the gallery to appear, click on upload image icon again, then click on Gallery, scroll down after the images and then you will see the options to include in your page, how many columns you want to appear, but just make sure you select that you want the images to link to the image and not go to the page attachment.

Hope this helps.

Debbie Saro
Deborah E.
user 11526574
Canton, MI
Post #: 16
Maria,

I had a similar issue last month with galleries; not able to find a plugin that worked as I expected. Jeff Mackey suggested using the built-in WordPress gallery.

Worked great for my requirements.
Maria G.
user 12793461
Livonia, MI
Post #: 4
Thank you both for your insight. I never really looked into the built in function of a gallery provided by Wordpress. That would be a good place to start :) I will look into this, thank you! I appreciate your time in help.

Maria