Metro Detroit WordPress Meetup Message Board › Best Plugins to Help Newbies

Best Plugins to Help Newbies

Cory B.
CoryBuford
Toledo, OH
Post #: 14
Greetings,

In hopes this will not start a full scale debate, I am currently working on a Wordpress configuration template, not theme but a stock install from which to clone other sites, to give away to newbies. My primary goal is to include the best plugin for each job but to also save them configuration time.

Since function defines form, the intended sites are Amazon Minisites for people trying to make a little extra money in these hard economic times. I have already had the following recommendations:

akismet
easy contact
easy privacy policy
sexybookmarks
simple google sitemap
wordpress database backup

However, I believe that I have already found major improvement with the following:

fast secure contact forms
google xml sitemaps
jetpack
sexybookmarks reloaded
w3 total cache (I too am having a devil of a time configuring this little bugger)

I also found a list of recommendations by Yoast at http://yoast.com/top-...­ and hope someone could narrow it down for me to help others.

Sincerely,

Confused
Deborah E.
user 11526574
Group Organizer
Canton, MI
Post #: 57
Hi Cory,

With over 20,000 WordPress plugins available, you'll find a lot of people with a lot of opinions for plugins. For backups alone, I have several I recommend, depending on requirements.

Perhaps you could include some of the key functions/features you feel newbies should have on their site? And whether you're looking only at free plugins or those that cost $$. Might help to narrow down suggestions from others.
Cory B.
CoryBuford
Toledo, OH
Post #: 15
Dear Deborah,

I thank you for your fast reply and advice. As Organizer for Toledo Entrepreneurial Mastermind Group and Co-Organizer for Toledo Sales Leads Group it's refreshing to see all of the activity within Metro Detroit Wordpress.

For newbies, the focus would definitely be on free plugins to cover the basics and offer growth potential as their Web sites grow. Since many are the "Set it and forget it" mentality, an emphasis should be placed on automation. For security, I'm sure Akismet is a forgone conclusion and agree that 23,615 is a considerable number of plugins from which to choose.

Since the target market will be newbies, ease of use would be the primary requirement - better yet if there is ample documentation to change features in the future. At the most basic level, I would think they need a contact form, privacy policy, social sharing system, site map, and a reliable backup. Since they would be Amazon affiliate sites, I would like to include as much SEO as possible and offer easy configuration and minification as their site grows - though not a basic requirement.

I hope this helps and welcome any comments, concerns, or questions you may have :o)