add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Metro Detroit WordPress Meetup Message Board › Web community using Wordpress?

Web community using Wordpress?

A former member
Post #: 1
I'm trying to help a friend set up a web community but I'm not sure how to tell her to proceed. She wants a user community where members will have an individual profile page and be able to submit content like articles, podcasts, etc. Can she achieve something like this with wordpress? Or would she need something more rhobust like Joomla? I'm not sure what to tell her and would greatly appreciate anyone's advice on the subject.

She's going to hire the job out, but she just needs to know what to ask for. Thanks in advance
Debra S.
Harrison Township, MI
Post #: 18
Yes, that's doable in WordPress. There's probably several different ways to tackle it.
Deborah E.
user 11526574
Canton, MI
Post #: 80
Hi Cynthia,

My advice: if your friend hasn't already done this, ask her to invest time identifying the specific requirements, goals, budget, success factors and timeline for the project.

Depending on knowing more about the project specifics, it's likely WordPress (using BuddyPress) could provide the features and functionality for your friend's site. And I'm sure there are many other systems besides Joomla or WordPress that are robust and can provide the type of web community your friend is seeking to build.

Not speaking for other web professionals, but for me, without that information, I wouldn't be able to provide any advice.