Metro Detroit WordPress Meetup Message Board › Topics, Questions, & "Experts" for Next Workshop

Topics, Questions, & "Experts" for Next Workshop

Jim L.
econproph
Dearborn, MI
Post #: 2
Ok, I'm not seeing a place to do this, so I'll just start a discussion. As I understand, the March meetup will have a "workshop" format with people available (a.k.a. "Experts") to answer various Wordpress related questions. Assuming I'm on the right track, I'll volunteer:
I can answer questions on the following:

• The .com vs self-hosted - comparison, which is better for which needs, etc.
  • Embedding presentations and documents into wordpress pages and posts
  • Most newbie type questions - except nothing about e-commerce
  • Wordpress Multi-site

Of course there's some questions I'm interested in if anyone has expertise -
such as using an external user authentication database to support login's for two+ different installs on different servers.
Eric M.
ericmalcolm
Taylor, MI
Post #: 3
Great thanks, I will add you to the Meetup info.
A former member
Post #: 1
Thomas Rudy

I can help answer questions on the following.

• Building responsive websites - Using either Bootstrap or Foundation

• Pretty Much any SEO question related to Wordpress

• Working with google maps - custom store locators with SEO friendly URL's.

• Contact forms: Custom built, Wufoo, Contact Form 7

• Working with HTML5 Video and using it for SEO

• Adding schema to your wordpress blog/site - Best practices

• Making shortcodes

Always learning, so I'll be happy to hear what any one else has to offer.

Sarah F.
SarahFrantz
Jackson, MI
I've never been to a meetup, but I would like to start attending. All the WP Ann Arbor meetings seems to be at times I can never attend, this one is actually do-able!

I can answer questions on the following:

• Advanced Queries
  • Building widgets
  • Utilizing custom fields, post types, etc...
  • Using Gravity forms to make custom inputs (and general/advanced gravity forms questions)
  • Hardening WordPress
  • Newbie and advanced user questions
  • Speeding up large-scale WordPress websites
  • Templating from scratch and all that entails

That's about it! I write for WpTuts+ and have been using WordPress personally since it all started, and professionally since about 2007 - if anyone needed credentials.
Deborah E.
user 11526574
Group Organizer
Canton, MI
Post #: 93
Welcome to the group Sarah. I'm Deborah, one of the leaders for the group.

Thank you for offering to be one of the experts Sarah. We had a Gravity Forms talk last year. It was a well-attended talk; I'm sure we'll have members with GF questions. All your other topics sound good too.

Eric Malcolm is the leader organizing the March event, so he may be contacting you with more info or questions.

Great to hear you're writing for WP Tuts! I just visited their site to check out your posts. Let us know if you'd ever like to speak at the Metro Detroit WordPress group, we're planning the April through June meetups soon.
Deborah E.
user 11526574
Group Organizer
Canton, MI
Post #: 95
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for offering to help. Your topics sound great! Thank you for offering to speak. Eric Malcolm is coordinating the March meeting and will reach out to you to confirm your topics.

Thomas, if you're not aware, we've moved the meeting location to downtown Detroit at Grand Circus (near Comerica Park).
Eric M.
ericmalcolm
Taylor, MI
Post #: 4
Thomas Rudy

• Building responsive websites - Using either Bootstrap or Foundation
• Pretty Much any SEO question related to Wordpress
• Working with google maps - custom store locators with SEO friendly URL's.
• Contact forms: Custom built, Wufoo, Contact Form 7
• Working with HTML5 Video and using it for SEO
• Adding schema to your wordpress blog/site - Best practices
• Making shortcodes

Thomas, please confirm you are able to attend and RSVP for the meetup (your cost will be refunded). I will add you to the Meetup info as soon as it is confirmed.

Also, if you are willing to speak for about 30 minutes or so to the group we have availability in the next few months as Deborah mentioned. Let us know.
Eric M.
ericmalcolm
Taylor, MI
Post #: 5
Sarah Frantz

• Advanced Queries
  • Building widgets
  • Utilizing custom fields, post types, etc...
  • Using Gravity forms to make custom inputs (and general/advanced gravity forms questions)
  • Hardening WordPress
  • Newbie and advanced user questions
  • Speeding up large-scale WordPress websites
  • Templating from scratch and all that entails

Sarah, please confirm you are able to attend and RSVP for the meetup (your cost will be refunded). I will add you to the Meetup info as soon as it is confirmed.

Also, if you are willing to speak for about 30 minutes or so to the group we have availability in the next few months as Deborah mentioned. Let us know.
Nicole A.
user 113768022
Detroit, MI
I can answer questions about:

• Theme coding
  • Plugin coding
  • Hooks (Actions & Filters)
  • Cache & Transients
  • Custom Post Types and Custom Meta Fields
  • Queries
  • WP-cli

I spend most of my time on coding the back end, but I have front end experience as well and I'll try to answer any questions I can.

Deborah E.
user 11526574
Group Organizer
Canton, MI
Post #: 96
Hey Nicole,

Glad to see you're coming to the meetup on Sunday! Thank you for volunteering to be one of the experts. Hard to believe it's been over a month since we were at WordCamp Phoenix.