Metro Detroit WordPress Meetup Message Board › Question re: Blog Comments

Question re: Blog Comments

Cleo P.
user 10589702
Ferndale, MI
Post #: 5
Hi!

I would like to indicate an interest in learning more about comments - both from a managing spam standpoint and also people who leverage comments to their blog's advantage.

I've started getting comments lately on old posts - not overtly spam "go to my great site" comments, but comments that are vaguely relevant, but the person making the comment's name links to a site that is completely irrelevant to the topic. Not that someone who sponsors a site about pretty girls can't have an interest in fresh dog food, but it seems like a stretch to me. ;-) I decided to spam these as I think that's what they are, but I'd love to get in a discussion about handling comments with other WordPress users.

Cleo
Barry P.
user 12495632
Davison, MI
Post #: 1
Great topic! You can be assured that if the comment has a link to a website and the comment is not absolutely related or constructive to forwarding the discussion, it is spam.

WP-SpamFree works well for comment spam
SpamShiv Spam Protection works well for protecting your mailto: links
Cleo P.
user 10589702
Ferndale, MI
Post #: 6
Barry,

Thanks, that exactly the kind of feedback I needed - I will give those plugins a try. I love this group!