Des Moines Metro Knitters Message Board Des Moines Metro Knitters Discussion Forum › Question about kids...

Question about kids...

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi! I am looking to become active in your group. I am an every day crocheter who can't get enough! My question is... my 12 year old daughter knits and crochets. Would she be welcome at any of the get-togethers? I am not sure how often the topics of conversation might venture off to adult topics. Please, please don't hesitate to say no. I know that sometimes I would hate to be censored on my night out. I also won't be heartbroken if I have to leave her at home once or twice a month! ; ) But, she loves knitting about as much as I love crocheting, and I am sure she will ask if she can come along! Thanks for your honest feedback!
Tamara S
iowaknitter
Group Organizer
Des Moines, IA
Post #: 383
I can speak for the Saturday meetups because those are the ones I attend most and I can't believe that any of the others would be different. We welcome all knitters and crocheters (and spinners) regardless of sex or age. Some young knitters have accompanied mothers and grandmothers in the past and no harm seems to have come to them. They are so eager to learn and to share their accomplishments. I for one love to see the very young joining the group, both as guests and members.
A former member
Post #: 2
Thank you for your reply, Tamara! If anyone else would like to reply, I am still listening!
Sara
sarajbc
Johnston, IA
Post #: 118
Hi Kate! Welcome to the group!

I schedule the Thursday night meetups and we do welcome any new members regardless of age, sex, and all the other good stuff.

I will let you know though that the group consists of all adults and while we are not mean or rude or swear (very much) we do tend to have a good time loaded with sarcasm, laughter and adult-topic conversations (meaning life, troubles, support, sickness, etc). Of course we talk about yarn and knitting a lot too! We have moms, grandmas, and those with no kids - so it is a good mix of people.

We'd be more than happy to have you and your daughter join us if you feel like the Thursday night group would be a good fit!
A former member
Post #: 3
Thank you for your kind reply, Sara! Altoona is quite a jaunt for us, since we live in Waukee, but we just might join you once or twice!
janis
jennyk_50046
Booneville, IA
Post #: 38
Kate, my granddaughter that is 13 yr knits. Maybe we could find a meetup that both could come with the girls.
A former member
Post #: 4
Janis, that would be fabulous if we could find a time to meet!! I am open to pretty much any time. But there is the meetup on Sat, March 9th at Knitting Next Door in Ankeny. That is a bit closer to you coming in from Cambridge, I think. Just let me know which time/place works for you and we will be there!!

Thanks so much!
Kate
Sara
sarajbc
Johnston, IA
Post #: 119
Thank you for your kind reply, Sara! Altoona is quite a jaunt for us, since we live in Waukee, but we just might join you once or twice!

Just wanted to clarify that I organize the Thursday Night Events labeled as "Metro Knitters". Those are held around town (Urbandale, Des Moines, Windsor Heights, West Des Moines). Altoona is another meetup that also occurs on Thursday nights (and is also full of fun people)!

We are a busy group with lots of options!
Jean
user 2550088
Des Moines, IA
Post #: 56
I mostly attend the Saturday sessions and you and your daughter would be most welcome.

Hope to meet you some time.

Jean S