Tamara S
iowaknitter
Group Organizer
Des Moines, IA
Post #: 258
You’ve heard of the sock-a-month challenge. Well, I’m challenging myself and anyone who wishes to join me to knit a hat or a hat/mittens/scarf set every month of 2010 (actually, I’m starting this month right after Christmas). This would not necessarily be just for kids--I'm sure we can find a head for every size of hat.

Why I am starting this “Hat a Month” project:

1. There are many heads (and hands) that go into Iowa’s winters uncovered.
2. There are so many patterns for hats I need to try but don't necessarily want to wear.
3. Knitting a hat and/or mittens is instant gratification.
4. I have way too much stash yarn.

This year we as a group donated 45 hats to Head Start--and we did that in about 6 weeks. I think it would be fabulous if we topped 100 next year. It takes only 9 of us to take up the challenge and knit a hat a month to reach that goal.

This thread will be dedicated to discussion--questions, comments, pattern suggestions--about the project.

Join me and become another Mad Hatter!
Cherann D.
Cherann
Des Moines, IA
Post #: 7
I'm in...I'm a complete hat junky and LOVE making them. Great idea.
Sara
sarajbc
Johnston, IA
Post #: 80
I'm in too - I love the idea of spreading it out through out the year!
Jean
user 2550088
Des Moines, IA
Post #: 42
Count me in. I've already started hat #2.
Tamara S
iowaknitter
Group Organizer
Des Moines, IA
Post #: 267
I put #1 down to work on Christmas stockings and then my Whimsy Scarf (about 1/3 done). However, needed instant gratification -- started #2 last night, finished it tonight but I still have the matching scarf to finish. Yeah, I know, #1 is still on the needles. Maybe tomorrow, maybe later.
Christina F.
ChristinaMorrow
Des Moines, IA
Post #: 1
Are we on our own to make the hats and deliver them to you? You mentioned Head Start so are we sticking to smaller sized hats or are you thinking of donating hats to other agencies as well?

Thanks,
Christina
Tamara S
iowaknitter
Group Organizer
Des Moines, IA
Post #: 269
Trying to field all the questions:

This project (at least my challenge to myself) is aimed more at adults than children. Although my December hat is a little small, I intend to knit only adult hats, mittens and scarves and I'm trying to pick out colors and styles that will be attractive to men.

I am not posting any particular patterns for this, since part of the challenge for me is to try new patterns. I haven't been very creative so far though--December's hat is a 2x2 rib and January's is the Quaker ribbed bottom hat (one I've knitted several times). And both scarves are 1x1 rib! Maybe I'll be more adventuresome for February.

If you have any hats finished, please bring them to a meetup and I will deliver them to Central Iowa Shelter & Services. Subsequent collectons/deliveries will be the middle of January, the first and middle of February, the first of March and then mid-October or November.

If you have knitted hats for children, I'll take those too or you can give them to Sheila L. and she can make sure they get delivered to the elementary schools. I'm giving her some of the mittens knitted by members of past beginning knitting classes.

Hats/mittens/scarves can also be dropped off at Covenant Presbyterian Church (28th and Ashworth in West Des Moines) and I will pick them up on Wednesday evenings or Sundays. There will be a box for them in the church office. You can also drop them at Roosevelt on Monday and Tuesday evenings while I have classes (6:30-8:30). I'll be in Room 111, just inside the southeast doors. My classes this session start January 11 and run for 8 weeks (January 18 excepted). Another good dropoff would be the Knit-In the end of this month. I'll be there all weekend.
Cherann D.
Cherann
Des Moines, IA
Post #: 12
Thanks for the update and options, Tamara!
Stacia
user 8204985
West Des Moines, IA
Post #: 20
I'll be joining in as well.
Alison B
user 2521313
Huxley, IA
Post #: 30
Does anyone have any suggestions for patterns?