addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Tamara S
iowaknitter
Group Organizer
Des Moines, IA
Post #: 270
Does anyone have any suggestions for patterns?

From Des Moines Metro Knitters Files:
Quaker Ribbed Bottom Hat
Bev's Basic (helix or plain)
2 x 2 Ribbed Hat

I call these my instant gratification hats -- quick and easy. And when I do Navaho stranding with sports weight yarn, I have a nice warm adult hat and I use up a lot of stash yarn! I also do a basic mitten and a 1x1 or 2x2 ribbed scarf. However, as it warms up and speed is not such a concern, maybe I'll venture out to more complex patterns.

Beyond those, try knittingpatterncentral.com -- gobs of hats there.
Tamara S
iowaknitter
Group Organizer
Des Moines, IA
Post #: 272
I am expanding this project to include donations of winter coats and sweaters. My office does monthly Jean's Day fundraisers and one of them is for Central Iowa Shelter & Services. We were recently contacted by the Shelter and told that they are in desperate need of coats as well as hats, mittens and scarves. So if you have any old (outgrown or otherwise discarded) coats that you want to donate, you can either take them to the shelter at 205 15th Street in Des Moines or give them to me and I will take them. I plan on going through my coat closet and grabbing all my outgrown coats -- after all, who am I kidding; I'll never be able to wear that size 12 coat again!
Tamara S
iowaknitter
Group Organizer
Des Moines, IA
Post #: 304
October is almost upon us and I will begin collecting any hats and scarves for this project throughout the winter months, with the first delivery mid-October or the first of November. I intend to continue this project until I run out of yarn (and Diane can vouch for me when I say that will probably be never!)

I will be including Hope Ministries (Bethel Mission and Door of Faith), as well as the Central Iowa Shelter, as a recipient of our hats and scarves. These are also the people who walk the streets of Des Moines in the winter with a backpack full of hats and scarves to give to the homeless.

Men's hats and scarves are preferred. Here's a cool pattern I just found (thank you, Cherann). This will be my next hat but I won't be using Malabrigo! Most of my hats and scarves are worsted weight acryllic from my massive stash and I try to use masculine colors--blues, reds, browns, black, team colors.

And if you want to use up stash yarn quickly, try a stash scarf: Cast on a bunch of stitches (I aim for 300 but generally lose count halfway through, and if you use two different yarns to cast on (long-tail), you don't even have to guess at how long a tail to use). Knit every row until scarf is about 6-8" wide, cutting the yarn after every row and tying the ends before and after every row (every strand will be tied twice), thus making an instant fringe. When one little ball runs out, pick up another; when that runs out, pick up another, etc. etc. etc. I even do a Russian join if I run out in the middle of a row (which happens more often than not). I don't worry about colors; I just grab one and if it's orange against red or a yucky color I don't even remember where or when I got it, c'est la vie.

You can also donate clean, gently used hats and scarves that you don't use anymore. Thanks to all who are participating in this project.
Kristy M
MsPurpleTruck
West Des Moines, IA
Post #: 158
Geez... I almost forgot. I've got 10 for you. I'll bring them Saturday!
Tamara S
iowaknitter
Group Organizer
Des Moines, IA
Post #: 319
If you haven't already done so or if you haven't delivered your hats to your favorite charity, please get them to me within the next couple of weeks. I want to get them delivered to the Shelter and Hope Ministries by the end of the month.

Since I still have lots of yarn in my stash, I will continue this project through 2011 and beyond. If you wish to join me, hats and scarves are always needed by the homeless. I do have one request, though. This project is mainly for hats and scarves appropriate for men. There are also outlets for winterwear for women and children and if you prefer styles along those lines, I can easily find homes for them as well.

Thank you to all you have decided to make this your project as well.