Des Moines Metro Knitters Message Board Des Moines Metro Knitters Discussion Forum › Help my yarn was under 10 inches of water

Help my yarn was under 10 inches of water

Alison B
user 2521313
Huxley, IA
Post #: 33
I got back from vacation to a basement filled with 10 inches of water. I can't even mention how much we lost but I was wondering if anyone had experience with flooded yarn? I think I have lost the patterns since they are completely stuck together but I was hoping to salvage the yarn. My fabric stash was under water too but at least I can wash it in the machine. I lost all those patterns too.

Alison
A former member
Post #: 7
Oh my gosh, how awful! I'm just guessing here, but any non feltable yarn you could put in a pillowcase and wash like you would your fabric. The feltable yarn will be more tricky. Maybe use white vinegar to soak? It works to take the odor out when my dog has an accident on the carpet. Once it dries, there is no odor of vinegar. Or Eucalan has a nice fragrance. You will probably have to soak and rinse a few times...I'm so sorry about the flooding. I've been through two flood situations where we lost things and it is so hard going through everything. I hope you can salvage your yarn.