The weather is cooling off, the bugs are slowing down and the Swamp Apes are on the move again. We will be working on the Bear Lake Trail again; this time in the canal itself providing some detailed sculpting and tree limb removal.
WHERE TO MEET:
Everglades National Park
Flamingo (By the Marina Store)
1 Flamingo Lodge
DIRECTIONS please visit http://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/flamdirections.htm
Don't leave your repellant at home yet; you may still need it. If you have a bug suit, bring it. If not, some shirts are available.
WHAT TO BRING:
- Long sleeved shirt
- Long pants (I recommend you treat our clothing with a permethrine treatment at least the night before. I like the stuff anyway.)
- Boots (not stilettos) are best, sneakers that will stay on and you don't mind getting wet and muddy (No flips flops or open toe shoes. No flimsy sneakers either. It is the wilderness after all.)
- Bug suit, bug shirt. bug net (you get the idea)
- Snack food
- Any medication you may need
- Camera to memorialize the day
- Gloves, Gardening or Similar
- Change of clothes for after
My canoe will be on site with room for one more. Other boats are available too. Tom has several park canoes for use as well. Please let us know if you need a canoe or if you are bringing your own.
It will still be hot! Nonetheless, swimming is not suggested. That being said, bring drinks. Water alone won't do it. You will need a hydration supplement. Gatorade, Powerade or something more effective like Nuun
tabs, my personal favorites. Avoid the low calorie drinks. As always, work at your own pace. I will bring the magical waterfall (cooler with melting ice) so that we can cool off as needed.
Bring lunch and/or snacks. I may be staying overnight at the Flamingo Campgrounds if anyone wants to join me. I'd like to paddle Sunday morning to some wilderness destination. Details TBA.
Swamp Ape Tom will bring the tools, the tunes and some great tales.
Don't forget your camera.
Old Florida is at your fingertips. Some of the most beautiful sites in the park are there waiting for us.
See you all on the trail.