align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The San Francisco Middle Eastern Music Meetup Group Message Board › Great Night of Sufi Poetry and Music at Freight and Salvage in Berkeley on S

Great Night of Sufi Poetry and Music at Freight and Salvage in Berkeley on Sunday, January 22

Farah Jahan Siddiq...
FafaB
Union City, CA
Post #: 25
Salaam Everyone!

Insha'Allah I plan on attending this event on Sunday, January 22. The event starts at 8 but doors will open at 7 pm so I'm going to try my best to get there early so I can get a good seat.

Farah

Great Night of Rumi & his Soul Friends
A unique melange of theatre, improvised music, and poetry

Sunday, January 22, 8:00 pm (doors open one hour before show time)
Tickets: $20.50 advance / $22.50 at door. Purchase tickets online at:
http://www.ticketweb....­
Where: Freight and Salvage, 2020 Addison Street / Berkeley, CA 94704

The Great Night of Rumi celebrates the 13th Century Persian poet Jelaluddin Rumi along with fellow mystic poets Kabir, Hafez, and Rabindranath Tagore, bringing their moving works vividly to life through a richly woven tapestry of spoken word, music, and dance.

Dan and Dale Zola lead a multi-faceted exploration of these great mystics, expressing the passion and humor of their poems. Joining a diverse group of poetry presenters, musicians including Claude Palmer on oud (lute), Sheldon Brown on woodwinds, Arshad Sayeed on tabla, Gary Haggerty on saz (long-necked lute) and other Middle Eastern instruments, Bobby Eddins on bass, and Eric Oberthaler on keyboards improvise a musical setting for each poem. Rounding out the evening, Aziz, a Dervish, performs the ecstatic whirling dances that Rumi practiced.

Born in 1207 in what is now Afghanistan, Rumi was a brilliant spiritual master, founder of an order of Sufi mystics, and one of the world's greatest poets, composing over 70 thousand verses in his lifetime on themes of divine love, mystical passion, and ecstatic illumination. While he has had a profound historical influence on aesthetic expression in the world of Islam, Rumi only became widely known in the West over the past decade, as people discovered the great resonance of his poetry with its expressions of the universal longing for beauty, connection, and joy."
A former member
Post #: 69
It looks like the URL above got mangled; hopefully this works:

http://www.ticketweb....­
Farah Jahan Siddiq...
FafaB
Union City, CA
Post #: 33
Thanks Mike!
Farah Jahan Siddiq...
FafaB
Union City, CA
Post #: 42
This was an incredible show! I hope some of you had a change to go. The musicians were amazing and the poetry readings of Rumi, Kabir, Hafiz, Tagore and others was inspirational. If you like Sufi music and poetry, consider going to the Feb. 2 concert in Hebst Pavilllion in SF. I have posted the info on the discussion board. I already have my tickets.