addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Leo F.
lfernandino
Group Organizer
Milwaukee, WI
Hi all,

Some time ago I created a poll on our web site so that people could indicate how interested they were in each of the books suggested. What I didn't realize is that I would not be able to see how individual people voted, but only the average score for each book, which wasn't very helpful.

Below I listed the 5 books currently with the most RSVPs on the group web site. Please reply to this email giving each book a score as follows:

3 - Very interested, and I would be willing to lead this discussion.

2 - Very interested.

1 - Somewhat interested.

0 - Not interested.

The three best rated books will be scheduled for the discussions of June, July, and August.

I Am a Strange Loop - by Douglas Hofstadter. 436 pages. Amazon Best Books of the Month, March 2007: Pulitzer-Prize winner Douglas Hofstadter takes on some weighty and wonderful questions in I Am a Strange Loop--among them, the "size" of a soul and the vagaries of thought--and proposes persuasive answers that surprised me both with their simplicity and their sense of optimism: a rare combination to be found in a book that tackles the mysteries of the brain. This long-awaited book is a must-have for avid science readers and navel-gazers.

The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer - by Siddhartha Mukherjee. 608 pages. Winner of the Pulitzer Prize in general non-fiction. The Emperor of All Maladies is a magnificent, profoundly humane “biography” of cancer—from its first documented appearances thousands of years ago through the epic battles in the twentieth century to cure, control, and conquer it to a radical new understanding of its essence. Physician, researcher, and award-winning science writer, Siddhartha Mukherjee examines cancer with a cellular biologist’s precision, a historian’s perspective, and a biographer’s passion.

Ignorance: How It Drives Science - by Stuart Firestein. 195 pages. CFI has released their top 10 Science & Reason books of 2012. Here's what they have to say about Ignorance: How it Drves Science: Have a friend or relative who thinks scientists are boring, fuddy-duddies set out to reduce the complexity of our universe to a set of equations? Then this is the perfect book for you. With humor, wit and a fast-paced conversational style, Stuart Firestein tracks the real scientific method - one that drives scientists to devote lives and careers in the pursuit of knowledge. It's not fueled by information, data or answers, but rather by questions and the vast space of what remains to be known.

Hallucinations - by Oliver Sacks. 352 pages. CFI has released the Top 10 Science & Reason books of 2012. Here's what they have to say about Hallucinations:This latest offering from Dr. Sacks harkens back to the books that made him famous: Awakenings, An Anthropologist on Mars and The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, by infusing curious tales of brains gone awry with sensitive insights into what it means to be human. The author is not content to list symptoms of a disordered mind or treat hallucinatory experiences as characters in a freak show, and though the science of hallucinations remains relatively unknown, Dr. Sacks takes us through the looking glass and shows us how commonplace and illuminating our fantasy worlds can be. This book is a great gift for anyone interested in magic, illusion and sensory creativity.

The (Honest) Truth About Dishonesty: How We Lie to Everyone - Especially Ourselves - by Dan Ariely. 304 pages. Dan Ariely has built a compelling body of scientific work charting the depths of deception. This book is a must-read for anyone who cares to call himself a critical thinker or who wants to understand why we behave the way we do when left to our own devices. The author is not only a prolific, thorough and imaginative scientist, but also a gifted writer and a superb story-teller. You will have plenty of fodder for dinner party conversations, taking you through the dark winter months.

As always, please let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Leo
Sharon
user 2568267
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 29
Loop 2
Cancer 1
Ignorance 2
Hallucinations 1
Dishonesty 3
Elizabeth