milwaukee vegan meetup Message Board › advantages of Wisconsin for herbivores

advantages of Wisconsin for herbivores

JP
jpea
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 45
Hope everyone is enjoying their summer!

Just wanted to remind people of all the bounty we enjoy here in this state, which is ranked third (just behind Texas, and at #1, California) for the greatest number of farmers markets. Compared to neighboring states like Illinois, and esp. Iowa, we have a lot more coops and organic food as well. Plus, it is legal to pick wild edibles in state and city parks (as long as you don't take the whole plant or pick the roots of the plants which would cause them to die, or pick endangered species of course), including berries, apples, and grapes, which are in great abundance now! I go to Jacobus Nature Preserve (if you've had my dishes at potlucks than you've tasted produce from Jacobus) in Tosa, Doctors Park, Honeycreek Parkway, and Havenwoods for foraging. Wild edibles tend to have a lot more nutrition than farmed foods.

We also have great CSAs like Future Fruit in this state, which, in particular, has like 20+ varieties of pears and apples, among other heirloom varieties of fruits.

There are also some great events celebrating the bounty of summer like Moonwise Herbs wild edible dinners (moonwiseherbs.com) and the following Midwest Wild Harvest coming up soon (if anyone wants to go let me know)

"Anyone interested in a fun weekend involving wild foods, consider the Midwest Wild Harvest
Festival this September 7-9, 2007 near Eau Claire, WI. You can visit www.foragersharvest .com

This event is a great opportunity to meet other wild food enthusiasts and learn a few things.
The guest speaker for the event is Vickie Shufer, a wild food educator from Virginia Beach,
Virginia."