milwaukee vegan meetup Message Board › foraging this Sat. at Havenwoods/West Allis rails-to-trail?

foraging this Sat. at Havenwoods/West Allis rails-to-trail?

JP
jpea
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 48
Anyone up for foraging this Sat., say around noon at Havenwoods (north side, 6141 N. Hopkins, see http://www.dnr.state....­) and/or the rails-to-trail between 68th st. and about 50th next to Main St.? I had wanted to go to the Midwest Wild Harvest Fest near Eau Claire but you have to do it as a whole weekend/$100 affair, so I'm staying in town.

Someone suggested the Milwaukee River parkway, which is doable too, I just haven't been downtown-into-Riverwest foraging yet.

Wild grapes are in their prime (by the shopping bag!), and you can use the leaves as wraps (i.e. dolmas/dolmathes), or by their tangy selves in smoothies and salads. I found plenty of wild apples at Havenwoods last year. They should be sweet by now. Plus we may find lesser quantities of huckleberries, mulberries, serviceberries, aronia berries, etc. I recommend bringing a pair of gloves, and a pair of scissors never hurt (for clipping bunches of grapes). Bring a digging trowel for roots like burdock if you like, but since Havenwoods is a state forest, we can't remove whole plants (which means no root removal there, but the rails-to-trail is fine for that). JP