milwaukee vegan meetup Message Board › reasons for non-attendance

reasons for non-attendance

lindsay
lindsayt21
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 2
hello everyone!

we now have over 75 members, which i think is fantastic considering we've only been an "official" meetup group since february. :) it's hard not to notice, however, that our usual meetup event attendance falls VERY short of that 75 mark. now, i realize that not everyone can make it, and not everyone wants to go to every event, but i'm also wondering if there are reasons i'm not thinking of which are preventing people from coming out to the monthly events.

for example, i talked to one of our newest members, and she let me know that she works every single saturday, which essentially means that she'd never be able to make a saturday lunch event. that got me wondering whether that is the case for other members as well...?

myself, i can speak to nerves as a reason that i might not attend an event. i was aware of the AFA/CUFA lunches for many months before i decided to suck it up and throw caution to the wind. ;) of course, our group is extremely friendly, and i would hope that no one is nervous, but i do understand if that's the reason.

anyhow, i wanted to start a little discussion topic just to get some informal chatting going, and perhaps get some insight into how better to encourage our members to actually come out and "meet up!" :) so, if you're a person who joined but hasn't attended an event yet, i would REALLY appreciate hearing from you. what's holding you back? scheduling difficulties? a vague sense of nervousness? something else entirely? maybe once we've heard from a chunk of our membership, we could brainstorm some cool ideas. :)

thank you in advance!!
A former member
Post #: 1
Hey Lindsay!

It's good to hear that the last meetup went well. I'm going to have a hard time making it to these meetups from now on, since I moved and have been fairly busy. I'm still in the metro-Milwaukee area for now, but since I gave up cooked food and can't afford to eat out much anymore, it kind of throws a wrench into these meetups for me.

I do miss the group, though. I always had a blast at the lunches.

-Eric
Colleen
ColleenL
Milwaukee, WI
Hi Lindsay and fellow vegans!

So far I have made it to only one of the lunches: Anodyne, which was great since I had never been there before. Unfortunately, from the end of June to the end of October, I work at the South Shore Farmer's Market in Bay View on Saturdays selling my vegan dog treats (Alice's Natural Dog Treats). I was hoping to start attending again in November. Perhaps for others like me who have a weekly committment, we could rotate the lunch times to an occasional Sunday or a different time on Saturday. Just a thought.....

On a side note, if anyone has any questions about vegan dog diets (food or treats), my dog has been vegan for over 4 years and healthy, so I'd be happy to discuss thoughts and ideas.

Thanks for maintaining this group!
--Colleen
A former member
Post #: 45
Hi Lindsay!

Great topic discussion!

For myself, Saturdays work great right now and the time is great too. To help others attend, I would OK with having the meetup on different days/times if it will help. Like Sunday or an week day night. Although, I think you won't be able to satisfy everyone because people have different schedules. But a change in day and time everyonce and a while is good for some variety if needed. :) (I thought the potluck we had was great too! I would definately second doing that again sometime. )

For days and time examples, Riverwest Cafe has special nights now. On Tuesday, they have Taco night which has vegan tacos and guac and chips. On Saturdays nights, they are having a pizza night (vegan cheese pizza). These are not regular items are their menus. I realize it is a small place as far as setting goes and we can't reserve space but it would be nice for an time when the weather is nice to be outdoors to eat as they have some outdoor seating in the summer. Just one suggestion of other days and nights we could have meetups. Also Comet Cafe has lots of vegan choices and vegan specials everyday and they are open late.

I have been a member of meetup for a long time. I have attend meetups here and in Chicago. One thing I notice is that alot of people sign up for meetup but never go to a single one. I think this is more due to people are curious and want to sign up for new things but sometimes they aren't really "into" them (if that makes sense) and lose interest. Another thing could be that lots of people don't have their meetup accounts set to receive messages and notices about events or stuff gets spammed and people don't find about the events. Not too much you can do about that I guess. But I can understand the fear of going to the meetup - I had that too when I first joined meetup. But every one I have gone too - people are so friendly and it has always been worth it! Honestly, how can you go wrong when you join a group where you will definatley have something in common with everyone?:)

But one thing I think worth mentioning is that their are people who RSVP "Yes" for events but than never show up - they don't even change their RSVP at the last minute saying they can't come. Not pointing fingers but I have noticed it happen at every event I have been too - and it tends to be the same people every time too (not just with this meetup but I have noticed it on other meetups too). Some times it is newer people who do it - their first event and they don't make it. Maybe it might be helpful to contact these people and ask why they were not able to come but did not change their RSVP? Could it be that they are not getting the Meetup Reminders and than forget? Or some other reason?

I know in some meetups if you RSVP Yes for events and continually do not show up, the organizer can choose to ban you from the meetup group. I don't think there is any reason to do that for the most part but I think it would pose a problem when you RSVP Yes for an event and it is full due to a cap on the amount of members who can attend and than someone else who wants to attend, can't because it is full.

For myself, I like seeing new people RSVP for events because than I know I may get to meet some new vegans! But than often when I get to the event I am thrilled to see all the "regular" vegans who attend again - but also disappointed as I wonder what happened to the new vegans who RSVP'd to come but are no where to be found.

I guess I take my RSVP's seriously. If I RSVP, that means I know I can come and I am definately going. If I can't go, I won't RSVP Yes - not sure than I do Maybe until I know for sure either way.

Again great discussion - I am interested in others ideas! :)

Kim
Matt
user 3612558
Waukesha, WI
I always hope to attend but my weekends are filled right now with relocating from Sheboygan to Waukesha. Hopefully when that is complete I'll be able to attend more meetup's...definitely won't have the distance excuse anymore ;)

75 members now? WOW!
A former member
I would say that part of it is nerves, but the biggest part is that I forget. I get so much email from mailing lists and things like that that I often miss the emails...I'm working on changing that, unsubscribing to the ones I don't read, that sort of thing. This meet up should be easy for me to remember since it is the day after my birthday -- I am really hoping I will be able to come!
A former member
Hi Lindsay, I am happy to hear that there are so many vegans in the area but, I agree, where are they? I have attended 5 or so meet-ups, but not the latest one. Since I am also a member of CUFA, an animal rights group, there is a lot of overlap with the vegan meet-ups and CUFA people, so sometimes I may participate in a CUFA event or social event and then not attend a meet-up since I see many of these people with my CUFA involvement. I would like to see new faces, meet new people of various ages and interests to broaden the group.

I agree that Saturday-only meet-ups are likely to keep some away who have to work, so alternating days and times of day is a good idea.

Finally, I must confess that, although I have attended many of the meet-ups, I rarely go to the site to officially RSVP. I will make an effort to do so, whether it's a yes or no.

Thanks for all you do.
Dave D.
dave.dandelion
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
Post #: 325
Well, i live a hundred miles away. ;)

Here in Chicago we keep the meetups at the same bat time and date because people's schedules eventually sync up and Saturdays at noon seem to be the best time for most.

As for nerves i totally understand as i'm quite shy myself. I think posting pictures of events and recaps help people to know what to expect. We have people who are nervous because they think they might not be vegan enough or expect a certain level of pretension. This is a cliche we work hard to combat and make sure nobody is policed ever.

Our turnout tends to be between 10-15% so i wouldn't let it get ya down if few people show. You just need to get more members signup up on meetup to bring that headcount up! wink

great work lindsay and CUFA/AFA!
A former member
Hi,

My husband Brian and I just attended our first meetup in September and it was wonderful. I just want to reassure anyone who might be nervous that it is a very welcoming and friendly environment and no need to hesitate for that reason.

Also, I wanted to encourage EVERYONE to get some of Colleen's Alice's Natural Dog Treats. My dog and our friends' dog absolutely gobble them up. The first time I bought them at the Southshore farmer's market I wasn't sure they were vegan, then I saw them at Vegan Essentials and was so happy to find that out because the dogs just love them.

I would love to learn more about transitioning a dog to a vegan diet because that is the one remaining thing that my husband and I struggle with. Although we have switched to the Promise natural dog food (carried by Health Hut) which sources no ingredients from Factory Farming, we would like to do more and be able to say that none of our dollars knowingly go to the meat industry or anything resulting in the suffering & eventual killing of animals.

So THANK YOU Colleen for the offer and I will come talk to you next Saturday at the Farmer's Market.

-Tonya

P.S. we just returned from the Bay Area (Berkeley, S.F.) and will be bringing some very mouthwatering VEGAN menus from Millennium, Herbivore, and raw Cafe Gratitude to Classic Slice on Oct. 6th for everyone to see what is possible when consumer demand forces the availability of ALL VEGAN venues!

Hi Lindsay and fellow vegans!

So far I have made it to only one of the lunches: Anodyne, which was great since I had never been there before. Unfortunately, from the end of June to the end of October, I work at the South Shore Farmer's Market in Bay View on Saturdays selling my vegan dog treats (Alice's Natural Dog Treats). I was hoping to start attending again in November. Perhaps for others like me who have a weekly committment, we could rotate the lunch times to an occasional Sunday or a different time on Saturday. Just a thought.....

On a side note, if anyone has any questions about vegan dog diets (food or treats), my dog has been vegan for over 4 years and healthy, so I'd be happy to discuss thoughts and ideas.

Thanks for maintaining this group!
--Colleen