add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

milwaukee vegan meetup Message Board › Underground cafe

Underground cafe

A former member
Post #: 9
Did anyone else read the article in this week's Shepherd Express about the "underground cafe" (aka Cafe X) that serves ALL VEGAN food? Apparently it's a secret group (why?!), but if anyone knows how a fellow vegan can participate in this, maybe you'd be willing to pass the word???? I could only dream of an all-vegan menu in the Milw. area.....
A former member
Post #: 11
I don't have any more information about this. But here's the article on-line for those who missed it: http://www.expressmil...­

Sounds interesting - hopefully someone in this group can clue us in - who ARE these people and where are they hiding??? smile
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 3
Once, when I was eating at the Riverwest Co-op, I saw a hand-made sign about an all vegan restaurant in Milwaukee. I immediately asked the woman behind the counter at the Co-op where it was. She said that actually it wasn't a restaurant officially, but she cooked out of her home and had dinners there. I'm not sure who she was--this was probably last summer, but maybe someone at the Co-op would have more information. Not sure if this is the same place as the article.....

user 3584813
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 1
I saw an add more recently at the Riverwest Co-op (sometime in 2008) similar to the one Colleen describes. Apparently they open their "kitchen" every few months and charge only a little bit of money. I wanted to find out more.

I'll keep my eyes open for anything more on this stuf!
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 11
my only guess for the reason behind the secrecy is so that no one gets in trouble for having a "restaurant" in their house. you know? i've heard of similar things in NYC and they were "underground" too... my guess is it happens all over the place, but you've got to know the right people in order to hear about it. or get an article in the shepherd express! ;)