addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

milwaukee vegan meetup Message Board › Suggestions for dining out to celebrate with family

Suggestions for dining out to celebrate with family

A former member
Post #: 1
My boyfriend is graduating on Saturday, and I wondered if anyone has tips on a great Milwaukee vegan restaurant to eat for 8-10 people. Since going vegan about 7 months ago, we haven't been very adventurous eating out. We avoid white flour/rice/pasta/sugar as much as possible, which I feel limits eating out significantly. We love Indian food, but have been a little scared to try eating out for fear of ghee (butter) and a language barrier complicating the explanation of our food choices. Some of the extended family also may not be as adventurous, so if anyone has a recommendation for Chinese or American that would be great. We love pretty much any exotic food, though, so please let me know of any exciting and different suggestions also. Chipotle has been our vegan staple for eating out since we know what all the ingredients are. Any ideas for newbie suspicious vegans and how/when is best to approach the subject to the restaurant staff when dining out would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Joy
A former member
Post #: 16
Casablanca on Brady Street www.casablancaonbrady.com (close to Van Buren) is AWESOME! They have a vegetarian buffet 6 days a week (including Saturdays) from 11-3(?) I think and then there are several dinners on the regular menu that are vegan. I think they might have live belly dancers on weekend evenings. The falafel here is great as well as a baked eggplant dish (not sure what it would be called on the menu) in the buffet is to die for.

If you want something more low-key there is Shahrazad on Oakland near Locust www.shahrazadrestaurant.com where the owner and most staff are very knowledgeable on vegan and can tell you exactly what is vegan on the menu. They have WONDERFUL lentil soup. The Falafel Bel-Hommos is the best vegan value in town.
Also rosewater lemonade is great there.
A former member
Post #: 6
I think most people like pizza, so that may be suitable for the non vegan guests. You can try Marcheses Olive Pit 1100 S 1st . They have an area in the back that you could possibly reserve for the group. I havent tried "Dan's Vegan Pizza" there yet, if you do, let me know how it is.
Patriq
Patriq
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 1
Cafe Manna is vegetarian/vegan and I know they can accommodate a group of 11 but call ahead so they can set things up. I have been there with individuals who feel they can't have a meal without meat and they have enjoyed the food there. It is in Brookfield (3815 N. Brookfield Rd.) and their phone number is (262) 790-2340. You can, I believe, check out their menu on line. It's worth the trip.

Patriq