milwaukee vegan meetup Message Board › Beef fat is "secret" ingredient in laundry softener sheets

Beef fat is "secret" ingredient in laundry softener sheets

Kim O.
RedPill68
Hartford, WI
Post #: 4
A recent issue of "Body & Soul" magazine and www.wholeliving.com mentioned this as a-matter-a-factly and then praised Ecos laundry detergent for it's cleaning ability and for having an all-natural built in fabric softener. Method's softener sheets are also plant-based. It is well-known within the industry that scented beef fat is the standard, per articles about Method breaking this mold.

This is an excerpt from a blog I found as well:
"Fabric softener is made from beef fat-that's right, beef fat.

Long ago, Mr. Proctor and Mr. Gamble had slaughterhouses and a lot of waste to dispose of. Being creative, they innovated "fabric softener". Since it isn't edible, they don't have to do an ingredients listing. So it's just *magic*.
Ever notice that if you use too much, your towels will actually wick-away moisture? Makes bedsheets extra slick and goopy.
When I stopped using it, all my rashes went away. I always thought it was the soap that was the problem.

The only reason I found all this out is because I have a friend who works with proc. & gamble, and they referred to Downey advanced (with "wrinkle guard")as "vegetarian Downey" because it was made of carrot oil instead. now it's discontinued."

I guess there's a very good marketing reason why they don't want to list "beef fat" on their list of ingredients. That's not exactly something people would want to rub their towels, under garments and bed sheets on.
A former member
Post #: 18
Thank you Kim for posting this!

I found out that there are also re-usable dryer sheets available that you can add your own scented oils to.
and Seventh Generation and other brands are tallow free.

Tallow is also in Crayons, Candles, Soap and Waxed Paper.

http://www.idealbite....­