addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

milwaukee vegan meetup Message Board › FORAGE FOR WILD GRAPES for wine or juice (and apples, and sumac) FREE!

FORAGE FOR WILD GRAPES for wine or juice (and apples, and sumac) FREE!

A former member
Post #: 62
On Sundays (Oct. 11 and 18th) we'll be foraging for wild grapes, apples, and sumac on the trail starting at Hawley and Main St. in Milwaukee (just west of Miller Park), part of the proposed extension of the Hank Aaron Trail. That area is just a fantastic cornucopia! Unlike previous years when you might have joined us, we will be harvesting upper vines, putting them in bags, and taking them to our backyard in Tosa to process. It's more fun to sit back in a chair with friends, sample some of our previous year's Purple Woog Wild Grape Wine (2007), listen to music, and chat while we pick the grapes off the vines and make grape juice for sampling, storage and wine. I'm also looking into transplanting some of the rootstock to the backyard, as I think the city will be tearing more and more of the vines out. Today I was out picking a big bag of wild apples (mostly for cider), and grapes, which are overflowing in abudance now. The dry, cool summer has changed the character of the grapes, which are more delicate than previous years, the wine should be very interesting. Our previous vintage was more of a spanish style wine (which tend to be higher in resveratrol), very robust and hearty. Let us know if you want to come, what time is best (afternoons are warmest), and what you want to come away with (actual grapes, juice, apples, sumac, or if you want to have us brew some wine for you, we try to keep it as raw as possible with a raw cuvee yeast starter). -JP
A former member
Post #: 2
This sounds like a great time and I would love to be a part of it. Afternoon would work best for me but I would do anytime that works for everyone else. I would like to come away with the joy of meeting new people, learning about the wine making process and perhaps a taste of wine.

Cynthia