Minnesota Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Letter to the editor - Lavender magazine

Letter to the editor - Lavender magazine

August B.
augustberkshire
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 7
Published letter to the editor
Lavender magazine
Minneapolis (distributed statewide)
Sept. 29, 2006

"Faith Inaction" by August Berkshire

http://www.lavenderma...­

=========

Faith Inaction

Whether he knows it or not?and whether he likes it or not?Jacob Reitan?s spiritual journey is taking him toward atheism [?Faith in Action,? Lavender, Sept. 1]. This is because he is kind, intellectually honest, and reading the Bible.

Reitan already has discovered the atrocities of the Old Testament God. He rejects this God, but continues to believe in Jesus, whom he believes to be good. But further Biblical reading and some applied logic reveal a different story.

Christians believe Jesus is God. Does God change from the Old Testament to the New Testament?

If so, this means we have no idea what God is from day to day, since he might change again. It also contradicts the Bible, which says God is unchanging.

If God doesn?t change, then this means Jesus (being God) is as bad as the Old Testament god Reitan rejects.

A further problem is what Jesus said about himself: ?If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.? (Luke 14:26); and ?Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.? (Matthew 10:34).

In a parable, Jesus says, ?But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.? (Luke 19:27).

Are these attributes of a person/God we should admire?

There is also the problem of evil. According to Biblical stories, Jesus/God chooses to heal some people, but lets others suffer. Imagine our condemnation of any doctor who had this attitude.

Finally, the idea of ?salvation? is very twisted when you think about it. What are we being ?saved? from? God?s judgment. Thus, God sacrificed himself to himself to save us from himself.

There are some people who call themselves Christians who don?t believe in God, but follow the (selected) better secular teachings of Jesus. I think this is what Reitan is headed toward. These people are, by definition, also known as atheists.

This is the third letter to Lavender where I?ve picked on Reitan. I hate to do this to such an obviously nice guy. So, here?s a deal, Jacob: Your first year of membership in Minnesota Atheists, when you?re ready, is on me.

August Berkshire
Public Relations Representative
Minnesota Atheists