align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Minnesota Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › New Meetup: Newbie Night II - Common Roots Cafe - MPLS - Feb 11

New Meetup: Newbie Night II - Common Roots Cafe - MPLS - Feb 11

A former member
Announcing a new Meetup for Minnesota Atheists Meetup Group!

What: Newbie Night II - Common Roots Cafe - MPLS - Feb 11

When: February 11, 2009 6:30 PM

Where: Click the link below to find out!

Meetup Description: We've reserved the meeting room. See you there!

For those who missed out when reservations for the first Newbie Night filled up almost immediately, and for those who have just joined the Minnesota Atheists Meetup, we are proud to announce Newbie Night II.

Newbie Nights are specifically designed for those who've never attended an MNA Meetup before or never got a chance to interact with other MNA Meetup members. It can be intimidating to be the only person in the room who doesn't know anybody else, so here's an event where EVERYONE has come to meet like-minded people they've never met before. We've reserved the meeting room at Common Grounds Cafe until 8:30 p.m., but anyone who wants to continue their conversations is welcome to stay later.

RSVPs are mandatory! This room's capacity is 18, so if you are interested and will go, please RSVP. Keep your RSVP updated if your plans change.

Learn more here:
http://atheists.meetu...­
A former member
Post #: 26
Newbie Nights sounds like a helpful vehicle for integrating new members into Minnesota Atheists in a less formal setting than a monthly meeting. For some time I've also been interested in another vehicle: a study group/book club.

Actually, I see two groups, based on my experience in other organizations. The first is an introductory course on atheism, based on a short book or two or a collection of readings. It would meet perhaps four times in two months, and could be repeated once or twice a year. It might draw from a small group of volunteer facilitators who review the results after each group ends and modify their approach to better enhance the experience. Besides sharpening questions, increasing comprehension, encouraging a common vocabulary, and suggesting arguments that might be used in conversations with interested others, the intro group could also draw in newbies.

The second is an ongoing course that would draw from a bibliography put together by participants. The group would meet once a month and progress and explore the area carefully and deliberately. That makes it different than most book clubs, which often try to read a new book at each meeting, frequently skimping on the rich content. There would be no need to rush. That would also encourage new members to join at any time, or allow people to come and go as other demands on their time change.

The test drive for this two-group approach would be an introductory course for individuals also interested in an ongoing course. If that works out, we could continue along the path suggested, or we could revise the model in light of our experience. If it doesn't work out, we could agree that organizing atheists into a study group is like herding cats, and move on.

The introductory text that I'm partial to is by Robin Le Poidevin, Arguing for Atheism: An Introduction to the Philosophy of Religion. I found it concise but well argued. If there's interest in this suggestion, I'd like to participate. Comments and suggestions are encouraged.