Minnesota Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Please comment: Proposed Policy for No-Shows

Please comment: Proposed Policy for No-Shows

Jack C.
user 3043821
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 41
Sometimes there is greater demand for an event than the venue can accommodate. When someone holds a spot with an RSVP and doesn't show up, they prevent a person on the waiting list from attending. I propose that after a Meetup Member is a no-show at two events where people are on the waiting list, they lose their ability to hold their spot at future Meetups. What do you think?

PS: I would make exceptions in the case of last-minute emergencies, but how likely is anyone to have two of those? Also, please keep in mind that this would only apply if a person fails to change their RSVP before the event and there are people on the waiting list at the time the event is held.
Jack C.
user 3043821
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 42
A few responses I received before I posted this on the message board:

"I agree 100%" -Lee

"That sounds fair." -Carol

"I am ambivalent on this. While not likely, it is certainly possible that there could be a legitimate reason for not showing up for two events. At the same time I can think of no alternative." -Chuck

"Your proposed policy sounds a little harsh, but you probably know best." -Roger

"Absolutely, this happens in most of the other groups I belong to." -Hilary

"I think it is generally a good idea, but it might be a bookkeeping nightmare. You might also consider the airline's overbooking policy, where you accept more reservations than slots, as long as you announce it is going to be handled that way. Or, maybe there is a way to have the software keep the tally." -Susan
bke (B Kevin E.
BKE1
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 20
This will also require you to establish a 'gate-crasher' policy.
A former member
Post #: 1
I find it a wee bit harsh. I guess it depends on how you go about it, though. If someone happens to miss two such meet up within a 6 month period is that going to be treated any differently than someone who misses two in a row? Also, will there be consideration for why someone might miss a meet up?

I wonder if something like a probation period would work. That way it's not so permanent.
A former member
Post #: 3
I like Mary's idea. Rather than losing their ability altogether, maybe a probationary period.
Erica K
user 6738297
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 5
Since it would take a lot of record keeping to do this, instead why not try this - send the no-shows a short email letting them know that they took a spot and someone else was kept out, and to please remember to cancel next time they can't make it using this handy link.

Seems worth it to try something more friendly first.

If you want to send me the list of no-shows, I'll send the emails (I assume there is some sort of email link available via meetup?)
Erica
Jack C.
user 3043821
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 43
More responses:

I agree 100%.  -JuliAnne

I'm new to the organization, but to me it sounds like a reasonable consequence.  -Karen Blackie

That like a good idea on the surface, Does the person that fails to show up able to defend him/herself. No three strikes and you are out? Seems to be thought out a lot more. Does this happen often? Maybe deal with case by case, not so across the board. Examples  why you could not make it.. Ride breaks down; a child or other loved get sick; Work related obligations, only a couple of reasons for not showing up. Would you rather have someone that just came down with flu come just so they be able to keep their place?  -Brian F.
Jack C.
user 3043821
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 44
The probationary period is a good idea. This doesn't have to be permanent.

As a little background, I've only suggested this after a few Meetup members (not many) have been no-shows at wait-listed events four or more times.

Also, there would be exceptions for exceptional circumstances. We don't want anyone attending if they're sick or would have to drive into a tornado.

Jack C.
Jack C.
user 3043821
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 45
Another response:

I guess I can support the idea, though it comes distressingly close to my own recent cancellation. Gulp! -Jim B.
Heather H
user 11858867
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 2
I think that since applys to only meetups in which a waiting list is involved that this is not harsh at all. It is really rude to reserve a spot at a meetup and not show up while there are others who would be glad to be there but cannot because it was full. When that happens more than once, it should not be tollerated, unless, like Jack said, there is a last-minute emergency.