Minnesota Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Please comment: Proposed Policy for No-Shows

Please comment: Proposed Policy for No-Shows

Jordan
biochick37
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 2
This seems very reasonable to me. At least discussion about the idea should make people more aware of RSVPing. I think adding the ideas that have come up is a good way to start. That is: After the first no-show to a limited attendance event, you send a warning e-mail stating that if it happens again, they won't be able to hold a spot at a meetup for a year (for example). Then if it happens again, we follow through. I don't think it should be an 'until the end of time' sort of thing.
Eric
user 4434475
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 37
When there are limited spots available and there are people on a waiting list and someone who RSVP's "Yes" doesn't show I think it's fair to suspend their ability to RSVP for future events that have limited spots. They could be warned first (or twice) then suspended for a couple of months from RSVPing for other events with limited spots. Organizers could create a spreadsheet or word document that is shared via email with an ongoing list of such violators for reference. Or if we really wanted to incentify people from not showing up at high demand/low supply events we could post their name publicly on an ongoing discussion board post titled "No Shows". That's probably too harsh though.
devilish
Crystal D.
CrystalD.
Waseca, MN
Post #: 39
It would be hard to keep track of, but it can be a nightmare when people don't show up for a limited spot event with a waiting list... Especially events that require appointments, payments, head counts for food/drink/seats/etc. I guess I just feel it's very disrespectful, and however a meet up organizer decides to deal with it is fair game.
Melissa
user 4848182
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 3
So what is the outcome of the discussion?

Global Policy

Policy for events that have wait list only

No policy, email reminder

No policy, no email reminder
Jack C.
user 3043821
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 46
Responses still coming in:

"Perhaps the policy could include parameters such as: 2 no-shows within a 6 month period, or something similar. I pulled the numbers out of the air. I'm sure this seems too generous to some folks, and too stringent to others.

Will a member who has been affected by the policy eventually have their spot-holding privileges restored? For how long would they be without them?" -Dawn
Erica K
user 6738297
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 6
The record keeping on most of these ideas seems like a huge ordeal. Is someone volunteering to do this? Jack, are you?

I volunteered to do the work on my idea - to send emails to no-shows if someone lets me know who they are. I think a friendly gentle personal reminder will reduce the volume. For the other ideas, you'd need a spreadsheet with names of everyone who rsvp's and doesn't show and the dates and you'd need to check how many incidents in a given period of time and then need to inform violators of the sanctions against them. Not only a major administrative ordeal but it comes across as very unfriendly.
Erica
Eric
user 4434475
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 38
It seems to me that Erica's proposal has a lot going for it. It is friendly, the violator will receive notification, and we have somebody who is willing to do the work. I like to think that a friendly approach will effectively mitigate future no shows.
Jack C.
user 3043821
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 47
Erica, I'll take you up on your offer. Thanks.

We'll see how it goes, and I assume you'll let me know if you're seeing the same names pop up.

Jack
Erica K
user 6738297
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 7
I see that if I click through a member's profile there is a 'send email' function. I'll use that. If you organize a meetup and have no-shows that you want me to contact, you can email me at eklein at yahoo dot com. Tell me what the meetup was and who were the no-shows by meetup name.
Erica
Erica K
user 6738297
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 8
Oh and do I get a title I can put on my resume? Erica 'the Enforcer'?