Minnesota Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › State candidate denies principle of separation of church and government

State candidate denies principle of separation of church and government

Jack C.
user 3043821
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 49
We are a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, but we may (and do) alert our members to issues that affect them. Part of our mission is to promote separation of state and church. Please be aware that Don Severson, candidate for Minnesota secretary of state, has stated that the concept of church and state separation "does not exist in America...because we are a Christian nation." Read the full StarTribune story here:

http://www.startribun...­
Eric
user 4434475
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 40
Severson is a right-wing tool. This whole anti-rational, hyperbolic, anti-Obama, "tea party" rah-rah baloney has got to fade or the next generation is in for some crazy s**t! This isn't even a partisan issue, it's a lie vs. truth issue. We have the Establishment Clause, a Constitution that gives God and Jesus not one single mention, and the Treaty of Tripoli written and signed by John Adams that explicitly says "The United States is not a Christian Nation" as proof that this is absolutely not a country founded on Christian-based governing principles.
Rhonda
user 12952364
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1
I wrote him a letter. If he's claiming that there "is no separation of church and state", then he's saying the US is a theocracy, not a Democracy, making God our supreme ruler not our President. That's just another of saying "Obama's not MY president" because he doesn't support their right-wing platform. If the shoe was on the other foot, and Muslims or Jews or Hindus were the majority in the US, and they were trying to legislate a theocracy based on their beliefs, the Christians would, no doubt, resort to terrorism in their fury. I found this on The Friendly Atheist this morning. http://friendlyatheis...­

I'm attending The Rally to Restore Sanity at our state's capitol on Saturday, October 30th, from 11am-2pm. I hope you ALL will join me.
Jack C.
user 3043821
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 50
Another state candidate is claiming that religion is the basis of our government. Tim Tinglestad, running for Supreme Court Justice against Alan Page, says this on his website: "God's Truth is the foundation upon which our Constitutions were built. It is critical that this worldview be present on our highest Court as it faces issues that will define our families, our educational system, and our religious freedoms for generations to come." This is from his own website: http://timtingelstad....­
Punkin
user 13159951
Osseo, MN
Post #: 1
Thank you for bringing these to our attention, Jack. I made a point of looking at my sample ballot online (Hennepin County web site) and, on my part, plan to research candidates down to the school district level. My concern is that separation of church and state and the theory of evolution will disappear completely from teaching materials...
Punkin
user 13159951
Osseo, MN
Post #: 2
Oh, this is sooo much fun :) I wrote to one of the candidates for school district 279 and I am pleased to report that Jim Burgett's answer to the these two questions I sent: Do you support the constitutionally guaranteed separation of church and state? And do you see creationism as a legitimate topic for science classes?
were answered as follows:

"1) I support the constitutionally guaranteed separation of church and state.
2) I would not support creationism as a legitimate topic for science classes."

I hope this inspires others to write to their school district candidates!
Rhonda
user 12952364
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 2
Tinglestad is SCARY! Wow, these Christians are even rewriting American history to support their delusion! I guess they can do ANYTHING with God behind them. Have there always been this many nutjobs running for office, but I just haven't noticed or are they coming out of the wordwork this year? Where are the rational candidates? Jack, thanks for sharing that. I was just saying to Mark tonight that we need to do some more research on the candidates before we vote in a couple weeks. I still don't know who to vote for for governor, and I'm usually certain by now.
Eric
user 4434475
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 41
I think there have always been nutjobs running for public office. Growing up in a very politically engaged family in Iowa, I clearly remember Pat Robertson gaining a lot of support as a presidential candidate in the 1988 caucus.

We probably shouldn't "endorse" a candidate on this message board but the choice for governor is an easy decision for me. Without saying who I am voting for, here are some (very) brief facts about their stance:

Emmer (R) - is a fervent opponent of gay rights and supports cutting corporate taxes while slashing public programs.
Horner (IP) - supports gay rights issues and supports a REGRESSIVE tax policy
Dayton (DFL) - also supports gay rights issues and supports a PROGRESSIVE tax policy.