Minnesota PHP User Group Message Board MNPHP Discussion Forum › VCS / Git / Github discussion

VCS / Git / Github discussion

Maxwell V.
user 46597072
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1
Following this month's presentation on git, I thought it would be nice to start a discussion about Git, GitHub, and other version control questions!

I've got command line experience with Git, Subversion, and ClearCase.

If there are any outlying questions after the night throw them out here! I'm sure we can find someone who can answer them.
Geoffrey
user 25793542
Minneapolis, MN
Here is a good quick reference to some common Git commands http://akrabat.com/co...­
Jacob S.
user 13237497
Rogers, MN
Here's a great (and popular) doc on a good branching model for your code with Git, if you haven't seen it already. We follow this to some degree where I work, with some slight modifications. But it's a great starting point to help you get thinking about how to structure your branches and such. I found it useful, I hope others can too.

http://nvie.com/posts...­
Daniel J. P.
danieljpost
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 92
Here's the talk about how github uses github to build github
http://zachholman.com...­
A former member
Question about Managing Git Repositories And I prob set this up wrong from the start?
Tried to find a good Git Forum but nothing looked that good so here you go ...

I have a sandbox /htdocs directory where I did a 'git clone' of the Zend Skeleton Application as
$ git clone git://github.com/zendframework/ZendSkele­tonApplication.git
My understanding is that this will setup a Repository in my current directory.

So I create another Git repository on the local disk as
mkdir /git/projects.git
cd /git/projects.git
git init --bare .

And I cloned my /htdocs files to the new repository
mkdir /git/projects.git/zendapp
cd /git/projects.git/zendapp
git clone /htdocs /git/projects.git/zendapp

1) So now how do remove the /htdocs repository and only use the /git/projects.git/zendapp repository?
2) Do I just delete the .git directory in /htdocs?
3) Will this not allow me to update github because the files are now in a different repository?

Thanks.
Geoffrey
user 25793542
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 2
I think your overcomplicating the situation. By doing a git clone, you're not really making your own fork of the project, you're completely cloning that project. So if you want to do things on the ZFSkeletonApplication and you want it to be private, you need to download the project and do a git init in some dir and copy in the files (i will detail this below).

1. Download skeleton app
2. Navigate to where you want your repo located
3. Make a new folder (we will call ours project1)
4. CD to project1
5. Run git init --bare
6. Unpack the skeleton app and copy the contents to project1
7. Run git commit -a (the -a flag auto adds all of the files for you)
8. Profit

Now this wont actually link you to a Github repo, but it will get a local git repo of your new project started.

Also to answer your confusion about why things show up as a different repo. Git tracks everything through a .git folder in the root of every project (so in the example above you would have project1/.git/). Since you did a clone and a clone, you copied that .git folder along with the project files so it thinks that there is a repo in a repo from a repo not linked to any other repo (see the over-complications?)

So when you clone, you are not downloading a fresh copy, what your doing is making a linked copy with a reference back to the origin repository. If you do a clone but you want to disconnect the files and use them else where, you would do a git clone and then delete the .git folder which removes any reference to any other repo.
A former member
Post #: 2
I think you can oversimplify by cloning - even through windows / mac client; then just not copying the git folder (but copy everything else) to the new folder/repo of choice.

Its a hidden folder.

While your at it, make a Branch A, and make a file a.txt and commit; then branch b, and B.txt and commit (in branch b)

Then on 1 monitor watch what happens to your Files in Explorer when you switch between branches on the other monitor ;)

As a SVN user, we got a whole lot of "What the hells" until we realized it hides things, keeps them all in the .git folder.