Montana GIS and Geospatial Message Board Training and Education › Programming Workshop / Tutorial

Programming Workshop / Tutorial

Josh G.
user 108895202
Group Organizer
Bozeman, MT
I've been chatting with some other group members and we have developed some great ideas about structuring a workshop / coding event.
First off, there are many different levels of programming experience in the group. These range between python, sql, flex, javascript, html, css and none at all. If we are going to sit down together and code it would be important that people have some basic coding knowledge and practice before we meet.
1. To start we could provide some good resources/tutorials for learning the basics of javascript (variables, loops etc), html (basic divs and loading external libraries) and CSS (styling and sizing your html's dimensions)
2. Next, after learning some basic web skills (above) we could provide a template for learning a mapping library/package specific to maps/gis. Maybe even using a local source of data (REST service from the city perhaps)? At this point we are leaning toward an open source library like leaflet.
3. Finally, participants would edit the above template and use your own data to create a custom map.
After everyone works through these steps we could get together, share our work and try some new things in real time.
Please respond to this message on the group discussion board so we can get a conversation going. If there is strong interest then we will move forward. Thanks...
Zac C.
user 126076582
Bozeman, MT
Post #: 1
Would love to be a part of this. Great idea!
Tara C.
user 116939372
Bozeman, MT
Post #: 1
I am also very interested in this. Do you already have a list of resources/tutorials we can get started with?
Andrew R.
user 117747812
Bozeman, MT
Post #: 2
Does sound like a cool idea Josh. Not sure I'd be able to fully participate based on time restrictions, but I'll watch with interest. Thanks.