NY Mostly Go Club Message Board › Online Go server accounts

Online Go server accounts

Randy A.
user 11035296
Group Organizer
Bronx, NY
Post #: 1
You can post any online go server accounts you happen to use.

Personally, I haven't played much online in the past year or two, mostly playing on physical boards now. But I used to play hundreds of games a year while I was a student, so it's a great place to find opponents in the wee hours.

On KGS I've got an unranked account that I mostly use for teaching/reviewing: Aginyan
I've also got a blitz-only account that's around 2-3kyu at the moment.

I don't really use IGS much except if a pro game is broadcast.

Feel free to post your own accounts if you happen to have any.
Tawan
Avalon0487
Elmont, NY
for kgs & tygem Avalon0487
Jori H.
Jori.H
New York, NY
Just started on KGS today. It feels like people playing on KGS and IGS have different idea of what each rank is, on IGS it feels like people are really +2k to whatever they have as their rank :/

Username: Readl

Randy A.
user 11035296
Group Organizer
Bronx, NY
Post #: 10
Yes, KGS and IGS ratings do differ slightly. From what I remember hearing, the difference actually changes depending on the level.

From what I remember, IGS 'mid-high dans' (like say, 3d) tended to be a bit stronger than KGS 3d, whereas KGS 15k are slightly stronger than an IGS 15k? This was a few years ago and the exact numbers probably shifted a bit.

Eventually you'll just get 2 solid ranks on the servers and can sorta observe the gap yourself
A former member
Questions from someone who has not yet used a go server, or, maybe any game server.

Wanting to try playing a human at night, and, finally, for the first time in my life, able to enjoy broadband, I read this discussion and then found out something more about online go server accounts on wikipedia, but i don't think anything was said about

1) whether it was free or must be paid for
2) whether or not there was a tiny text-box, too, so some words could be exchanged
3) what was the time generally alloted for blitz or ultra-blitz (i searched blitz separately and did find an interesting conceptual discussion relating it with ranking) and if it is a total game time one uses as one wishes or a max for each move or combination of the two.

Finally, for someone unsure of his or her software who wants to play fast realtime games, is any server easiest to use?
Jori H.
Jori.H
New York, NY
Post #: 2
1) There are many free ones. Haven't ran into any go servers so far that would cost.
You can find a list of servers with information from here: http://senseis.xmp.ne...­
I'd recommend starting out with one of the two most popular ones: KGS or IGS. (but of course have fun exploring all the available ones)

2) Yes, chat is possible on most Go servers. In fact on a lot of them it's polite to wish them a good game and saying thanks at the end.

3) On KGS, ultrablitz is a game time of 5 minutes or under (link: http://www.gokgs.com/...­ ), and these games can't be ranked on that server. I can't find the exact limit for what constitutes a blitz game, but I think anything under 15 minutes playing time is a blitz game.

As for software:
Go servers really don't require much from your computer, so you don't have to worry if your computer isn't all that new. On KGS you can even play directly from their website with no installation.

Randy A.
user 11035296
Group Organizer
Bronx, NY
Post #: 11
I "grew up" on KGS, so I tend to like it more than other servers, but had short stints back in the day on IGS and Orobaduk. KGS's crowd are quiet friendly on the whole, especially in the Beginner's Room and KGS Teaching Ladder rooms.

Blitz does tend to muck w/ the ranking system a bit, but I suspect (with no empirical data to back me up) that it doesn't badly affect ranks as much as people would think. My only ranked account on KGS right now is a blitz-only 2k... which I doubt is very far off from my 'true' KGS rank.

On KGS, the system usually calls it blitz at <15s byo-yomi I think, w/ a short main time. Ultrablitz is like <6s a move, and at that point your internet latency can actually cause you to lose some games.
A former member
Just wanted to thank you both and will try soon, probably at kgs first.

Editing in later: I went and had fun as a guest. Gave myself a 20k as i do not know and first was a Spanish-speaking 17k player and it just was not a game -- he was a far easier opponent than my Handtalk. Had my first turn down. Then i had a tough game (i lost) with a better player with a japanese name who also kindly talked me through various things about playing there. Unfortunately, i did not notice how easy it was to expand the board until the game was almost done.

Was unsure about how to register but i want to go back some more times as a guest to try to figure out what k i settle at first.

Now i would like to download MoGo (which i misheard the other day as moga) but am not sure of the best place to do so.
A former member
I play on Dragon Go Server http://www.dragongose...­

My id is Steppenwulf

This is a great server for busy people like me. It is turn based, sort of like the old chess by mail. You play a move, and then your opponent is notified, and they play a move. You typically play 1-20 moves in a day on any one game, and you can have any number of games going at once.

It is perfect for someone who can't dedicate a solid hour or two for a game, but can take a break from work or home, and spend a few minutes on a move many times a day.

Dragon Go Server has a lot of players at a lot of different levels, and it also has Android and iPhone apps, so you can play whenever you have a minute.

I highly recommend it to any busy Go players
Norman P.
user 7369761
Forest Hills, NY
I am Norman314 on KGS.

KGS is a great server because it has excellent tools for teaching and reviewing games, including tools for marking up the board and analyzing different variations and a tool where the teacher can do a voice broadcast. There is a room called KGS teaching ladder where people frequently share their games for stronger players to review.

My one complaint is that people usually like to play faster than I do, but if I post a slower game, someone usually joins within a couple of minutes.