Motorcycle Riders Meetup: Johnston/Harnett/Wake Message Board › Riding The Dragons Tail in Spring/Early Summer

Riding The Dragons Tail in Spring/Early Summer

A former member
Post #: 7
No date set yet but so far me and a buddy from Winston-Salem, are planning to go for a weekend??. He has a Harley, me an Old Mans Rice Rocket...FZ1. If are few are interested, lets start with suggestions for dates and hotels/Motels/Campgrounds/ Bus Stops and or trenches. I also heard is a "Dry" area?
James L Machado W.
user 16171721
Holly Springs, NC
Post #: 1
I'm certainly interested. I'm planning a trip myself. I could look into places to stay. I'll have to do that anyway. Let me know.-Jim
Steve K.
user 72820582
Holly Springs, NC
Post #: 1
HI all,

Just recently joined the group, but I would love to take that ride...looks a little scary from their website.. shock http://www.tailofthed...­
Dan B.
TrophyHusband
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 11
If are few are interested, lets start with suggestions for dates and hotels/Motels/Campgrounds/ Bus Stops and or trenches. I also heard is a "Dry" area?
Robbinsville, is a town near the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway and another really twisty ride (forget name but REAL close to R'ville) - there is a motel we stay at - Two Wheel Inn. Clean rooms, each has a garage for two bikes to store INSIDE. Has fire pit, covered patio area, grill, bike wash area and laundry if you need it. Local owner stay on site in the back but will join in a beer ot two, if invited. Nice folks! Rate was 54 or so. Missed 2012 trip so it may be a little more. The times we went, that was the price.
Down side - dry county. That said, you pass through LOTS of polaces to get supplies as needed on the way there, or while there.
The Dragon is cool and scary at the same time. More about what is heading towards you than the ride itself. If you ride within your ability, you will do fine. There is a nice lake to stop at and turn around for teh return romp towards NC. (The Dragon is in Tn., technically)
Go have a great time!! I am passing this annual trip so we can ride to Sturgis this year. Enjoy the ride/weekend out there!!
A former member
Post #: 8
Sturgis?
A former member
Post #: 9
Thinking toward the mid/end of April?
A former member
Post #: 47
Yo Roy,
I’d suggest that you plan / lead some local rides to get to know a few riders before heading out to the mountains with strangers. There are many riders in this group that know the NC, TN, VA and WV mountains well. Old Liberty Rd is a day trip from Raleigh that many refer to as “The Little Dragon”. http://goo.gl/maps/vo...­ From the Raleigh area we have lots of great day trip options, let me know if you’d like some help planning one. - Easy
A former member
Post #: 10
I'm open for suggestions. My best friend in Winston Salem and I are planning on going ourselves and I just figured the more the merrier??
A former member
Post #: 3
Hey Easy and everyone. I have been awol a while but may be interested in doing this ride since I missed it last year with yall. My husband may cage it also. Idk yet.
Dan B.
TrophyHusband
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 12
Sturgis?
Sturgis­ is the oldest rally. Up in S. Dakota. Aug 5 - 11 this year.
My better half and I are riding up there in late July, ahead of the rally, and staying through most of it. Get some riding in before huge crowds arrive.
A couple of others from the area are also riding up, no date for them yet though. There are with a group that Easy rides with. Good young guys full of energy!!

If you are unfamiliar with Sturgis rally, just look it up. Some call it the "Mecca" of biker rallys.
Be safe. Shiny side up.