align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Motorcycle Riders Meetup: Johnston/Harnett/Wake Message Board › Riding The Dragons Tail in Spring/Early Summer

Riding The Dragons Tail in Spring/Early Summer

James L Machado W.
user 16171721
Holly Springs, NC
Post #: 2
I'm still interested. Mid/end of April should give us good temps to ride in also. I rode through the Great Smokey Mountains last year and most of the Parkway but haven't yet ridden Tail of the Dragon. I think Easy has a good point--I personally don't want to be "responsible" for anyone whose skill level isn't appropriate for this ride. If you have doubts you might want to reconsider. Also, I don't mind having a beer or two after the days' riding is over but I never imbibe before riding. All that being said--I too--like Roy--am just looking for others who might want to ride but are able to take responsibility for themselves--the more the merrier. The question is--if folks want to form a group--ride out together--and lodge in the same location--what's the latest date we want to RSVP and how early do we need to make appropriate reservations? The closer we get to a date--the more folks will be interested. My longer trip this summer will be to central West Virginia. There are about six to eight rides I'm interested in doing there. I plan to take highways up and ride back on the entire length of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I was planning on doing Tail of the Dragon as the last part of my adventure. I don't mind doing it twice. This two week trip is going to be April-ish May-ish. So, if we can reach some consensus on a group trip that I can fit in around my bigger trip I'm game.
James L Machado W.
user 16171721
Holly Springs, NC
Post #: 3
PS--for those interested you can check out http://killboy.com/...­ for some videos and blog postings that contain information that you might find helpful/interesting on riding Deal's Gap and local information on Robbinsville. Also, for those who have the Iphone, there's an app called "Dragon's Tail" that has maps, road reviews etc. Note--Dragon's Tail--318 curves in 11miles. I find Google Earth helpful for re-coning a ride that I haven't taken before. Again--I try to gather as much information as possible and attempt to ride within my limits. Up to this point--this approach has served me well.-Jim
A former member
Post #: 48
Yo Roy,
You’ll have lots of options as you plan your “Tail of the Dragon” adventure. Having several MC adventures in the area I’ve found Bryson City to be well centralized, lots accommodation / food options and is wet. Beyond the “Tail of the Dragon” there are several must ride routes. The owner of the “Two Rivers Lodge” in Bryson City (MC road-name Gizmo) suggested a loop that includes most of the best MC roads in the area, it’s my favorite route. I’ve uploaded a JPG map to the JHW MeetUp: More: files: Gizmo's Big Loop. 258 miles @ 8hrs riding time (plan 10-12hrs).
I hope you find these comments useful. Easy