The Pittsburgh MINI Cooper Meetup Group Message Board › Harrassment while driving

Harrassment while driving

A former member
Post #: 25
Has anyone (male or female) been harassed while driving their Mini? I've been harassed twice, and had to call the police once. And it's usually from men in SUV type vehicles who think they're 'cute' by driving so close I can read their inspection stickers. I have a friend who's not a club member who has had the same thing happen to her more than once. My only hope is that the new Fiat's coming in this fall will take some of the 'heat' off us Mini's.
Amous
user 23061341
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 3
Has anyone (male or female) been harassed while driving their Mini? I've been harassed twice, and had to call the police once. And it's usually from men in SUV type vehicles who think they're 'cute' by driving so close I can read their inspection stickers. I have a friend who's not a club member who has had the same thing happen to her more than once. My only hope is that the new Fiat's coming in this fall will take some of the 'heat' off us Mini's.

So sorry to hear that... I would just do a few emergency brake to scare them... It's their fault if they kiss yr bumper...I did it couple of times n work each time
Jennifer B.
JennyBraun
Bethel Park, PA
Post #: 131
Emergency brake scares are a good way to get hurt, especially with an SUV on your tail! Keep calling the cops if you have to. You never know who has a gun, a bad day, and is looking for a reason to hurt someone.

I've driven my MINI for 8 years and never had this happen. I wish you good luck.
Amber B.
amberback
Group Organizer
Mount Pleasant, PA
Post #: 14
I can't say I've really had that issue. Is it the same person? same neighborhood? Do you have any funny stickers on your car that someone might take offensively?

I wouldn't brake check them, they may be the one who has to pay but you'll be the one hurt and with a MINI in the shop.
A former member
Post #: 26
Unfortunately, a brake check escalated the harassment. Thanks for all the replies!
Leon D.
DixonL2
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 2
I've found that. by creatively (and safely) executing a lane change, I can generally be very obvious about writing down their license plate number at the next stoplight. DEFINITELY take down the license number and file a complaint. While the police generally can't arrest a person based solely on that complaint, it does show up when their plate is pulled the next time, decreasing the likelihood of someone going easy on them. If they're harassing you, they're likely harassing others.

I know that while bicycling, if someone swerves toward me (or God forbit, hits me), that's a felony offense as "assault with a deadly weapon with intent to do grave bodily harm" (or something like that), andm, if witnessed, carries some pretty severe penalties.

My wife had this happen to her, but it was a contractor's truck - with a phone number on the side! Hee hee hee.
A former member
Post #: 27
I can't say I've really had that issue. Is it the same person? same neighborhood? Do you have any funny stickers on your car that someone might take offensively?

I wouldn't brake check them, they may be the one who has to pay but you'll be the one hurt and with a MINI in the shop.

No, it's different places, times. And I'm not asking for attention with any funny stickers or anything. I did call the police AFTER the first time (it was an Access van with truck number who I was told the next day has anger management issues) and the police told me to call them if I get harassed. Fortunately, the second time I did that and was able to get the plate number because I think the guy got nervous (I held up my phone and indicated that I would call someone) and pulled around me. When possible, I pull off to the side of the road and let them pass me, but in bumper-to-bumper traffic, it's difficult.