The London Movie Meetup Group Message Board › FREE SCREENINGS

FREE SCREENINGS

Gabriel
gabrieldasilva
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 124
As this looks like its going to become a regular monthly thing (fingers crossed!), this is new thread for ideas/suggestions and votes on our free screening meetups.

The 2nd free screening will be the very stylish, very clever Korean horror film 'A Tale of Two Sisters' at The Sun Tavern at Covent Garden on Tuesday 20th March from 6pm onwards.

I would strongly recommend this even if you are not usually interested in the genre.
The film making, plot devices, technical aspects and intellegence of the story makes it very different from what we know as Western horror and this film certainly opened up the genre to me.

For those of you who attended the very successful Dr.Mabuse meetup, the Sun's facilities seem a lot better in terms of space and also that the reserved area is offset upstairs so bar noise will not filter in.

We will be meeting upstairs at the pub from 6pm onwards, with the film due to start shortly after 7.
Screening is free- please bring beer money!
And please RSVP here.­
I am afraid I am not as knowledgable about film making as Richard, so my introduction will probably not be as well informed, but in any case I hope we get a good few people along!

This will be a joint meetup with the London Goth Meetup Group.

PS, I was a little stumped for options for this meetup as it seems the pub only has a region 2 player so my options were limited- most of my DVDs are imports!
Next time we can do a proper vote.

Ideas for themes for the free screenings:
*Anime classics
*Studio Ghibli (I'd love to see these on a big screen!)
*Hammer horror
*Eastern European stop-motion animation films
*Richard- did you want to do another classic movie one in April?
Richard F
user 2543752
London, GB
Post #: 217
All of these sound great and I can confirm the The Sun Tavern is a much better space. There have been a few people that have expressed an interest in 'hosting' a Classic Screen Thingy but to keep the momentum going I'm thinking of showing Onibaba in April (date to be confirmed).

If anyone has a favourite obscure film, then please let us know and let's get everyone else loving it too.

Speak soon.

Rich

See you at ICA for French horror 'Satan'.
Richard F
user 2543752
London, GB
Post #: 225
Does anyone want to do a Free Screening of their favourite film for May time? You don't have to do a talk or anything. There is still some films on my list but the event is for the whole group.

Don't be afraid, be very afraid......no. Don't be afraid and join in. It doesn't matter how obscure it is. If anything, the more obscure the better.

Let us know if you've got an idea.

Thanks.
A former member
Post #: 143
Studio Ghibli... love struck

Gabriel
gabrieldasilva
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 166
Yeah I think I'll definately do a Studio Ghibli one and also one for Svankmejer's Alice- I'll see when I can book the place.

Voting for the Ghibli one:

*My Neighbour Totoro
*Spirited Away
*Princess Mononoke
*Grave of the Fireflies

Does anybody have any preference?
A former member
Post #: 155
1. Grave of the fireflies
2. Spirited away
3. Princess Mononoke

(I haven't yet watched my neighbour totoro (although I've had ample opportunity) *blush* so I supposed I'd actually prefer you show that one)

A former member
Post #: 7
Mine would be:

1. Grave of the fireflies
2. My neighbour kokoro
John G
jgbreezer
London, GB
Post #: 6
1. My neighbour kokoro (not seen it)
2. Princess Mononoke (slight preference over Spirited Away due to which I've seen more recently, but not that fussy, they're both good).
Gabriel
gabrieldasilva
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 178
OK I've booked the room for another two dates.
These are for joint meetups with other groups.

Richard also took a list yesterday of people's choices for free screenings.
We'll try to book another day or two for one or two of these!

Tuesday 15th May:
The very bizzare Czech stop motion animated version of Alice in Wonderland 'Neco z Alenky' ('Alice') by Jan Svankmajer.

Its a quite gothy, stylistic film which could only really be for kids if you want them to end up very disturbed.
It's also one of my favourite films!!!
(Which probably says a lot about me...)
Don't worry about subtitles- its dubbed... yes I know dubbing is terrible but its animated so it would have been dubbed anyway!

Tuesday 5th June:
A Studio Ghibli anime film- please vote on the following...

*'My Neighbour Totoro'

*'Spirited Away'

*'Princess Mononoke'

*'Grave of the Fireflies'

A former member
Post #: 3
Yeah I think I'll definately do a Studio Ghibli one and also one for Svankmejer's Alice- I'll see when I can book the place.

Voting for the Ghibli one:

*My Neighbour Totoro
*Spirited Away
*Princess Mononoke
*Grave of the Fireflies

Does anybody have any preference?
prefer princess mononoke