The London Movie Meetup Group Message Board › Film4 Summer Screen at Somerset House

Film4 Summer Screen at Somerset House

A former member
Post #: 6
http://www.timeout.co...­

check out the link above unless word of mouth has already got to you.

Might be going to one of the nights if anyone fancies - wouldn't mind seeing Night of the Hunter but....as my girlfriend is not really into film might have to go for the safer Aliens/Starship Trooper option.

regards

kish
A former member
Post #: 43
Some more info for everyone:

Saturday August 12: The Shining
John Alcott's cinematography is impressive, and occasionally produces a 'look behind you' panic... MORE>>

Sunday August 13: The Outsiders
Like the Corleones, like Kurtz in Apocalypse Now, and like Hank and Frannie in One From the Heart, the kids in The Outsiders (adapted from SE Hinton's novel) are looking for a better world. MORE>>

Monday August 15: The Night of the Hunter
Laughton's only stab at directing, with Mitchum as the psychopathic preacher with 'love' and 'hate' tattooed on his knuckles, turned out to be a genuine weirdie. MORE>>

Wednesday August 16: Howl's Moving Castle
The first long shot of Howl’s castle, moving through the fog of an Alpine pasture, is a doozy: its bullfrog-battleship bulk huffing and chunting along on a set of sure-clawed chicken-legs, it’s the sort of organic-hydraulic hybrid at which Miyazaki excels. MORE>>

Thursday August 17: Brazil
Like 1984, it looks forward from the '40s to a vast urban society ruled by an oppressive bureaucracy that has developed primitive valve computers. MORE>>

Starships Troopers. Copyright: Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Inc.

Friday August 18: Starship Troopers & Aliens
Starship Troopers: High school graduates Johnny Rico, Dizzy, Carmen and Carl enlist in the armed forces of the Federation. MORE>>
Aliens: Fifty-seven years on, Ripley is discovered - Sleeping Beauty in space. Plagued by nightmares and surrounded by sceptics, she's forced to return to the resting place of the original alien's mother ship with a bunch of seen-it-all-before Marines. MORE>>

Saturday August 19: The Big Lebowski
This comic update of the world crystallised by Raymond Chandler charts the disastrous involvement of laidback dopehead Jeff 'the Dude' Lebowski (Bridges) in a kidnapping case involving the wife of his millionaire namesake (Huddleston)
A former member
Post #: 1
Hello,

Yeah, I've been thinking about this event at Sommerset house and it does sound good. I have previously seen Goldfrapp live here and it's a wonderful venue.
As I've already seen Howls Moving Castle - wonderful film and the Big Lebowski - a fair number of times, I think I'd like to watch The Shining!
Actually, I get really scared by...scary films (lame, I know), so I'm thinking that this is the place to see it. At least I KNOW what's behind me...200 people?

Time Out's review is pretty harsh. I heard it was really good...

So, anyone else going?

HeatherJ
A former member
Post #: 44
I want to go to it. it's just a case of....what film to pick?

:)
Richard F
user 2543752
London, GB
Post #: 25
Hello,

The Shining is a great film (I'm a huge Kubrick fan) although the book is more of a ghost story rather than a crazed madman story, but when you've got Jack Nicholson what can you expect. Can I also recommend The Night of the Hunter directed by Charles Laughton (it was such a shame he didn't direct more.)

I was a bit disappointed with the venue last year as you can't take your own picnic (They actually stop you from entering with food). There is a cafe there, but it ain't cheap. And last year you were only allowed a cushion, not a deck chair unlike The National Theatre free cinema showings. I'm not a slim lad and my tush has plenty of cushioning in itself, but after an hour or so, I started to shuffle a lot. Perhaps things have changed.

I'm in Devon for that weekend so I hope you enjoy it. And remember, if you get too scared, remind yourself, it's only a movie, it's only a movie, it's only a movie. (Quote quiz: name the movie.)

All the best

Richard
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi

Thanks for your 'TOP TIP' there Richard - I have the mantra memorised so I think it'll be alwigh'...

So, with regards to film choices (don't we need to crack on in regards to tickets being available?), I've decided to just pick randomly and go, unless of course it's a bad choice and then I'll just choose again...and again...

Anyone interested in going? Kish, CD, Richard - you're away - anyone else? Let's go!

HeatherJ
A former member
Post #: 4
Hey, it's School of Rock and Nacho Libre on Friday. lol! I'm sorry, I think Jack Black is hilarious. That's a fun lineup!

Wasn't there two movie adaptations of the Shining? I saw both and I remember one was much better than the other. I can't remember which.... hmmm..... Night of the Hunter sounds interesting! Haven't heard of that one yet.

In any case, what movies are you guys watching?
A former member
Post #: 5
Whoa!

So my bro and I were thinking of going down of Friday night to watch the back-to-back showing of School of Rock and Nacho Lbre. It's 15 quid!!!! Little steep if you ask me... although they are screening 2 movies! Still, I don't know if I could comfortably last through 2 movies just sitting on a cushion!

<yoda voice>hmmmmm........ ponder on this, I will............... </yoda voice>
Richard F
user 2543752
London, GB
Post #: 39
Hi Liam,

I agree that it is quite expensive, particularly when you get so little for it. But it is still an experience, which is what London is all about.

By the way, there was a 1997 mini-television version of The Shining which was closer to the book but very bland to watch. This one is Stanley Kubrick's 1980 version. I know it's a phrase that is used often but this is a 'must see'. You don't have to see it up on the big screen but it would be a shame to miss it.

I hope you enjoy whatever you watch.

All the best

Richard