jim l.
user 4363761
London, GB
Post #: 2
Hi guys, definitely up for seeing this if anyone wants to go. Just released last week so should be out for at least the next fortnight.
A former member
Post #: 20
I saw it last week: it's vile, exploitative, negative and stereotypical - with no real message of hope at the end or anywhere throughout the endless ugly process of hype.

In the real world, I'd have expected Lee Daniels et al to anticipate the shocking contents effect on victims or those who know them - and those who may feel moved to do something positive anyway. Just like countless times before, there is so mention of support for communities in poverty (where they don't choose to stay on welfare for dysfunctional reasons), nor of charities that help the real people who live through this shitty abuse every day...

Instead, this film displays the typical Hollywood tactic of showing grotesque characters and gross-out scenes to gain publicity and awards - oh, and of not forgetting their true aim: lots of cash for MORE bling for themselves, but not those who they show (same as Slumdog Millionaire's walking away with the riches, but leaving the true sufferers STILL in the slums, etc)!
A former member
Post #: 79
deb,

you have no idea what you are talking about. it's a wonderful and quite realistic film with some very positive messages. i must assume that you have had little or no contact with african-american culture or the reality of living in the inner city (in the u.s.a.)

there is some very talented and tender acting here that you apparently have tried to trash.

so sad.