Let's take a look back to 2013 for the year in film. I anticipate this will cover all our time, so no additional "ice-breaker" questions or featured film discussion this time around.
Whether you saw one film from 2013, or fifty, come and discuss your experiences with the group. We'll mainly cover films released in 2013. I realize that especially with foreign films and/or independent "festival" films, what qualifies as a "2013" release can be a little vague. Let's not split hairs over this, if you think it's worth talking about as a 2013 film, that's good enough for me.
Some categories we'll cover
• The landscape overall - How was this year's crop to you? Any noteworthy trends you noticed from this year?
• Best and favorite films of the year - pretty self-explanatory.
• Discoveries and surprises - the films/performances that came out of nowhere and wowed us. Along with the best films no-one's heard of.
• Most disappointing - I prefer to talk "disappointing" rather than absolute "worst". I, like many discerning film fans, try to avoid bad movies, so the truly atrocious are usually left unseen. But sometimes, a highly anticipated film turns out to be a stinker.
• 2013 films we missed - but still want to see.
• (if we have time) 2014 films we're most looking forward to.
Unless you're like me (or Dan) and log the movies you see, you may have a tough time remembering what 2013 films you saw (if you are, follow us on Letterboxd). Here's a couple links that may help jog your memory:
• Wikipedia page for this year's Oscar's - users have been keeping it up to date with any Oscar shortlists that crop up
• BoxOfficeMojo's top grossing films of 2013 for Domestic and Worldwide
• RottenTomatoes has a good compilation of the 2014 Awards Tour
• Highest Rated Feature Films Released In 2013 With At Least 10,000 Votes on IMDB
• TheDissolve, one of my favorite film websites, has a great compilation of 2013 in review. Including their big checklists for the first and second halves of the year.
• Please post any other worthwhile resources in comments
Running Start Inc.
95 Prescott St., Worcester, MA (near WPI Gateway Park)
We'll use their conference room on the second floor, we'll be the only ones around at the time. Feel free to bring whatever to eat/drink. Whether it's your dinner for the night, or a snack to share.
They have a small parking lot on the north end of the building, near the entrance, however it can be tough to maneuver in. There is ample street parking next to the building, and there's a large parking lot to the south of the building. The large lot is technically for the building(s) at 85 Prescott only, but I doubt anyone will care during evening hours (I'm not liable if something happens though).
I'll send my cell number to attendees before the event in case anyone's having trouble finding the place.