align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Worcester Movie Fans Meetup Group Message Board › More overlooked horror films

More overlooked horror films

Chris T.
t12ek
Chelmsford, MA
Post #: 6
While trying to figure out my picks for our Oct Horror Meetup Series, I considered a bunch of other films. Here's a shortlist of some of the ones I ended up passing over (I haven't seen almost all of these, but they should still be worth seeking out):

The near misses:
The Phantom Carriage* (Sweden, 1922): A silent film, I've been wanting to watch more silent films lately (especially non-comedies). Eventually passed on this one since thematically, it's more about New Year's (the last person to die in the year has to collect souls for Death for the following year)
A Tale of Two Sisters (South Korea, 2003): One of the big pillars of the K-Horror movement. It comes out on Blu-ray on Oct 22nd, and I didn't want to bother with the logistics of getting it in time, etc., but it's still really high on my personal watchlist. Also, since I'm following along with the Contemporary Korean Auteur's marathon that my favorite film podcast, Filmspotting, is doing: http://letterboxd.com...­

I was also considering a "Japanese Horror" theme for a while, in which (in addition to House), I was considering:

Kwaidan*, Onibaba*, Kuroneko*, The Ring (original Japanese version, aka "Ringu")

And a whole bucketload of titles I ended up rejecting simply because I want to provide the best audio/video quality possible, and most of theses don't have Blu-rays, and some don't even have DVD releases, though many are available online:

Eyes Without a Face* (France/Italy, 1960), Cure* (Japan, 1997), The Housemaid* (South Korea, 1960), Eraserhead* (USA, 1977), The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Germany, 1920), Nosferatu (Germany, 1922), Vampyr* (France/Germany 1932)

Note: titles with a * are in the Criterion Collection, and are available for streaming via you have Hulu Plus. If you want to check that out, I'd appreciate it if you start your 2-week free trial using my referral link (which gives me 2 free weeks each referral): http://hulu.com/r/OXw...­

Anyway, I've love to hear your picks for overlooked horror films you want to see/think other people should see.
Dan
user 41397892
Holden, MA
Post #: 3
Thanks for the ideas, Chris! I'll try to think of some to add later.
David B.
davidb1969
Group Organizer
Worcester, MA
Post #: 22
I'd love to see some of these. I've heard of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, but I have no idea what it's about. I'd like to see that and Nosferatu. Another classic that I've heard of but never seen is Tod Browning's Freaks. Tod Browning was director of Dracula (1931) starring Bela Lugosi. Freaks is supposedly a demented film that was completely misunderstood at the time.

I can think of a couple of low budget classics that are actually pretty good if you can distance yourself from the low budget effects. Has anyone seen Reanimator? It's B-movie quality, but still awesome. And not awesomely bad, either. I'm hesitant to show it at my house because it has a very disturbing and unique rape scene.

I have Bubba Ho-Tep (2002), starring Bruce Campbell and Ossie Davis. Elvis and JFK track down a soul-sucking monster in their nursing home. That's what it's about on the surface. Below the surface, it's about regaining your confidence as you get old and infirm.

Another one I have is Dead Again (1991). Kenneth Branagh tries to go full Hitchcock in a reincarnation murder mystery. I think he pulls it off, too. It's more of a suspense film than horror, really, but it works with the Halloween theme. It stars Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh, and features Andy Garcia, Derek Jacobi, and Robin Williams in supporting roles.
roni
milkyway
Worcester, MA
Post #: 21
Hi Guys & Gals
I'd be interested in Dead Again, Bubba Ho-Tep & The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari. the only one i've heard of is the last one.Roni
Chris T.
t12ek
Chelmsford, MA
Post #: 7
For a future "Series" I was thinking of doing silent films. Based on feedback, seems like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is a shoe-in for that (and we'd definitely want at least one German expressionist film). Though, I don't think there's an HD restoration available yet, whereas Nosferatu is getting a Blu-ray release this fall (presumably with a new restoration, otherwise, why would they bother?)

That said, if you want to watch The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari now, while there are DVD releases, it's also in the public domain (being pre-1923 and all), so is available for free (or "no extra cost") in a few places.

The Internet Archive has a few different versions available:
A 51 minute cut: http://archive.org/de...­
A 71 minute cut: http://archive.org/de...­

For you Netflix Streaming subscribers, they also have the 71 minute cut. DVD releases are also generally the 71 minute cut.

Note: I haven't seen this yet, and I don't know the differences between these versions
Veronica M.
Veriuska_vee
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 6
:-)
Chris T.
t12ek
Chelmsford, MA
Post #: 8
So, speaking of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari... The Music Hall in Portsmouth, NH is doing a screening w/ live accompaniment on Oct 24th: http://www.themusicha...­

We're not able to go, but I imagine to chances to see this projected with accompaniment are rare. So for some, may be worth the drive.
David B.
davidb1969
Group Organizer
Worcester, MA
Post #: 23
Unfortunately, October 24 is the day of the Night of the Living Dead Rifftrax event.