Sacramento At The Movies Group Message Board › The Oscars - OUR votes!

The Oscars - OUR votes!

Chip
user 6712279
Fair Oaks, CA
Post #: 74
At our "Five Year Celebration" on January 19th, I passed out ballots to give our members a chance to predict who they thought would win the Oscars this year. If they thought a different movie should win other than the one they predicted, they could also vote for that one if they wanted to. Here are the results:

BEST PICTURE - “Lincoln”

LEADING ACTOR - Daniel Day-Lewis-“Lincoln”

SUPPORTING ACTOR - We predicted Robert De Niro will win for “Silver Linings Playbook," but Tommy Lee Jones in “Lincoln” ties him in our own votes.

LEADING ACTRESS - Jennifer Lawrence-“Silver Linings Playbook”

SUPPORTING ACTRESS - Sally Field-“Lincoln”

DIRECTING - Steven Spielberg for “Lincoln”

ANIMATED FEATURE - “Brave”

CINEMATOGRAPHY - “Anna Karenina”

COSTUME DESIGN - “Anna Karenina”

FILM EDITING - “Argo”

ORIGINAL SCORE - a three way tie between “Anna Karenina,” “Argo,” and “Lincoln”

ORIGINAL SONG - “Skyfall” from “Skyfall”

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING - “Les Misérables”

PRODUCTION DESIGN - “Anna Karenina”

SOUND EDITING - We predicted a win for “Skyfall,” but in our own voting, "Skyfall" was in a three-way tie with “Django Unchained” and “Zero Dark Thirty”

SOUND MIXING - “Les Misérables”

VISUAL EFFECTS - a tie in win-predictions between “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” and “Life of Pi,” but in our own voting, "The Hobbit" wins

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY - “Lincoln”

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY - “Moonrise Kingdom”

In these last few categories, most of the contenders hadn't played Sacramento yet. Some people went ahead and voted anyway, based on… what?… catchy titles? buzz? previews? I don't know. But since our balloting, all the nominated Shorts and one of the Foreign Films, "Amour," have come to Sacramento. Here are our predictions and votes for the remaining categories, along with my comments:

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM - The only one that has played Sacramento is “Amour” from Austria. We predicted it will win, as have a lot of critics.

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE - The only one that has played Sacramento is "Searching for Sugar Man." Our balloting predicted that “The Invisible War” will win, but “Searching for Sugar Man” ties it in our votes.

DOCUMENTARY SHORT - At the time of our balloting, it was a three way tie between "Kings Point,” “Open Heart,” and “Redemption” (based on titles, I guess) but at our meetup after seeing the Oscar-nominated shorts last weekend, “Inocente” was the clear winner.

ANIMATED SHORT - “Maggie Simpson in ‘The Longest Daycare’” was predicted to win in our balloting, but as I recall from our Shorts meetup, "Paperman" was the most popular, closely followed by "Fresh Guacamole."

LIVE ACTION SHORT - “Death of a Shadow (Dood van een Schaduw)” was predicted to win in our balloting. I wasn't at the Live Action Shorts meetup, so I'm not sure which one was most popular after we had actually viewed them. "Henry" was my personal favorite, and "Curfew" seems to be getting the most attention from critics.

Let me finish by adding a note that I posted a message on the Meetup Message Board that shows where you can find all the Oscar Nominees in theatres, on disc, and streaming. The list is being constantly updated, so you might be able to catch up on any of the films you've missed! You can find it here: Oscar nominees - in theatres, DVD, and streaming!
Rosemary
user 4336948
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 8
Hey Chip, thanks for posting this invormation -- will be fun to find out Sunday night ... also just found out the Oscar nominated Doc "Five Broken Cameras" is playing tonight -- I'm posting it as a meetup -- the really cool part is that its free!!!!!