Leeds Movie Fans Meetup Group Message Board › Trance - A Review

Trance - A Review

Frankie
user 8204205
Group Organizer
Leeds, GB
Post #: 769
Easter Saturday, Cottage Road and New Inn, a fine meetup with quite a few newbees and our usual smattering of regulars. I had a good time tonight, thanks to all attendees. Debuts came thick and fast tonight, Alison, then Pam and Valerie, James and a very amusing Sam. Mags made her second appearance after The Paperboy, good news, and then our more regular regulars, Jackie, Gill T, both were in good form, and of course our super regulars in N.o.e.l.l.a, Sarah, Vivek and Ken, so 13 altogether. Nice one!

The movie itself was about the theft of Goya's Witches In The Air from an auction house, in which James Franco is the inside man and Vincent Cassell the fully blown professional thief. Of course it goes wrong when the painting goes missing and James Franco's character suffers from amnesia, so can't remember where he stashed it. Realising that the amnesia must be genuine because torture isn't working, Cassell gets round to the suggestion that they use Rosario Dawson's hypnotherapist to unlock the secret in Franco's mind, so the painting can be re-discovered.

I don't know where the police were in all this, but they were conveniently removed from the plot, maybe because it might have got a little close to an Agatha Christie novel for comfort. With Trance, Danny Boyle has tried hard to be diacritical against the kind of plot evident in previous movies (notably Inception) but whether it made the movie a sanguine affair is debatable. I don't think many of us found too much to recommend, even if only Vivek knew what sanguine meant, and only Sam knew what diacritic meant. At least I've learned something.biggrin

It was clear that when Rosario Dawson got involved, the characters in the movies were not the only ones being manipulated, and that's fair enough, but I had my usual problem in that I really didn't feel any Jeopardy Jackson for the plight Franco's character found himself in, or any of the others for that matter. So I was happy just to let the plot unravel without getting too deeply involved. Eventually after much tomfoolery the truth as to what really happened to the painting and all the sub plot that occurred beforehand becomes clear, but it was a little disappointing that this was simply done by one of the characters using a narration.

Given the movie was about amnesia its probably ironic that it already seems quite forgettable. It wasn't very artistically inspiring, more like painting-by-numbers. I'm giving this 5/10. The meetup was a lot of fun though and I had a fine time tonight cool.

Frankie
user 8204205
Group Organizer
Leeds, GB
Post #: 770
Strawberry