addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Leeds Movie Fans Meetup Group Message Board › Me & You - Bertolucci - Quick Review

Me & You - Bertolucci - Quick Review

Frankie
user 8204205
Group Organizer
Leeds, GB
Post #: 774
I was necessarily late for this so not entirely sure of the attendance, except for Pam, Tom and Vivek, sorry if you showed up and did not 'meet up'.

Bertolucci has quite a range in his back catalogue, including blockbusters (The Last Emporer), independents (The Sheltering Sky) and the provocative (Last Tango In Paris). Me & You is hardly ground-breaking stuff, telling a simple story about two half-siblings holed up in a basement for a week, due to very different reasons (one is escaping from a hateful school ski-ing trip, the other is trying to do cold turkey from heroin). After an indifferent start, we begin to warm to the two characters as the film progresses and whilst I thought more symbolism could have been added when we got to the ending, this wasn't a bad effort at all from the old Italian director.

Teo Falco as the girl and Jacob Antinori were the two protaganists, she easily took the acting plaudits from her younger associate, who reminded me a little of a very young Malcolm McDowell, all acne scarred and evasive.

The meanings behind the film were fairly easy to grasp, so there was depth to this slight tale. Despite parental assistance, the difficulties both were having could only respond to empathy, and that, in the end was the message put across, progress requires mutual trust.

Quite a memorable movie in some ways,, it was slow enough in its execution to linger in the memory. I can understand some people not liking this (at all) but I thought it was a decent metaphor for the troubled times being experienced by today's youth, so as an old bugger (Bertolucci, not me cool) it wasn't a bad effort, and I reckon it deserved a 7/10
Vivek S.
user 31255062
Cheltenham, GB
Post #: 10
Frankie,

Well put.

I meant to ask you this earlier but forgot - was there any symbolism in way the film starts off - the upward show of the spiral staircase?
Frankie
user 8204205
Group Organizer
Leeds, GB
Post #: 776
Yeah Bertolucci fell down one when he was a kid. Round and round and all the way down. That's where he gets his crazy ideas from wink. Its possible the scene is a reference to another movie but if it means something in this film then its not overly symbolic in my opinion.