addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Leeds Movie Fans Meetup Group Message Board › Oblivion - Review (includes major plot spoilers)

Oblivion - Review (includes major plot spoilers)

Frankie
user 8204205
Group Organizer
Leeds, GB
Post #: 775
The New Inn beforehand and Cottage Road cinema certainly seems to be popular with our lot, this movie was only scheduled recently, but there were 15 of us. Most had been two or three times to the meetup beforehand, and there were not as many super-regulars as usual but there was a lot of enthusiasm about the meet and I thought it was a lot of fun, so thanks to everyone who came along. cool

Oblivion is unmistakenly sci-fi, it has all the ingredients, including Tom Cruise who is more or less born to play this kind of role. A not-too-bright but honest guy trying to work what is true and what is false, about a strange future world in the aftermath of a war of the worlds.

The movie either pays homage to, or blatantly steals ideas from previous movies, and whether you find this amusing, or irritating might well depend on what you had for your freeze packed breakfast. For the first hour the film was excellent, largely because it was developing it's own unique ideas, with Cruise and lover/co-worker Victoria (Andrea Riseborough, excellent as always) working as 'an effective team' managing weapon drones that were designed to wipe out the few remaining alien stragglers that were still on the planet after Earth had won the war.

Natch, all is not what it seems, and I didn't think it was too difficult to guess what was really going on, if you were in the mood for a bit of sci-fi sleuthing. Sometimes I think its better to just watch it. Inevitably the movie had to move on, plot wise, and there were not that many original ideas in the second half. This introduced Morgan Freeman and Olga Kurylenko as Cruise begins to fathom the truth about who is 'Tech52' and who really won the war.

There were a lot of references to other movies in the second half, from Beyond Thunderdome, to Moon, and even Independence Day and even a bit of Silent Running, and I invite anyone reading this to add others, but - MAJOR PLOT SPOILER ALERT - I worked it out *very* early on that the 'scavs' were really the good guys, and it was fun to also realise ahead of time, that Olga was his wife, and that he was a clone. I know that quite a few in our group enjoyed working out the movie references as well, I think it was Paul that spotted the reference of the small craft flying though the mother ship was used in Independence Day, and was in fact a lengthy sequence in the original Star Trek movie.

I think the movie just needed one or two additional original ideas in the second half and it could have been a classic. Granted, its difficult to come up with any completely original ideas (The Matrix being an example) but this was pretty good I thought and as this is one of my favourite movie genres I think it just about scrapes 8/10.
Frankie
user 8204205
Group Organizer
Leeds, GB
Post #: 777
I just re-watched Cruise in Risky Business on TV tonight, that certainly was an impressive start to his film career, with Rebecca de Mornay-Sickness (as I always call her). I laughed at the line "Please Joel, do what they say, just get off the babysitter"biggrin. I think Oblivion might deserve 7/10 on reflection.
Tom
user 73650962
Shipley, GB
Post #: 7
I thought the bit where they detonated the bomb inside the mohership was a bit 'Star Wars Death Star'. The drones also looked a lot like the pods in 2001: A Space Odyssey. I didn't sit there working out all the references, i genuinely enjoyed it for what it was but one thought did cross my mind. As terrible as the war may have been and as badly apocalypsed the Earth looked, it was still nowhere near the 'oblivion' of the road works on the M62.
Frankie
user 8204205
Group Organizer
Leeds, GB
Post #: 783
biggrin Very good! I was thinking what the missing original idea from the second half of the movie, it had to be something to do with why the war started. That had lots of possibilities. Or I quite like the idea of the moon colliding with the Earthl, and they should certainly have expored the affects on the Earth of the broken up moon, a bit of science always helps. Maybe even that Cruise and Riseborough were being selected as an Adam and Eve for a one way trip before the moon collides killing everyone on the planet hahahahaha serves us all right that's what I reckon...everyone always dies in my stories.