addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Leeds Movie Fans Meetup Group Message Board › Spring Breakers - Review

Spring Breakers - Review

Frankie
user 8204205
Group Organizer
Leeds, GB
Post #: 782
Taking my own advice to not show up to this movie sober does mean a) I enjoyed this movie and b) I can't fully remember why confused. I do know that six is a nice number for a movie meetup so hi to Colin, Ken, N.o.e.l.l.a, Adam and Mark, and The Brudenell afterwards was a good move. I definitely felt that the movie had some good qualities, but it wasn't a patch on Harmony Korine's debut movie Kids, and was a little bit like an extended music video at times.

One aspect of the movie that was very unusual was that you never got to know any of the girl's names: indeed the only character with a name was James Franco's 'Alien'. I suspect that the characters were colour coded based on their bikinis, Miss Pink, Miss Blue etc, which they wore constantly, even during their appearance in court, which probably was done for some deep reason, but was pretty silly really.

For the record, our 4 bikini clad protaganists were played by Ashley Benson, Selena Gomez, Vanessa Hudgens and Heather Morris. I think it might have been fun to see the screen tests tbqh cool.

I also imagine that the movie had lots to say about the state of the younger generation, the despair and nihilism left by an increasing realisation that their generation is going to struggle much more now they have come of age, and there is a certain anger at how they have been left with a fucked up legacy, and there was certainly some tangible evidence of this. Mainly though it was quite an empty feeling, and whilst this was probably deliberate, it didn't exactly enhance any sober reflection on proceedings. It would be just as easy to say that the movie was a lazy attempt at describing the disenfranchised youth. But if this is what the girls are up to, what about the boys?

I felt the film should have ended in an absolute bloodbath, but the director seemed to lose the courage of his convictions. Perhaps, as Alien did, he started with a plan for exploitation but fell in love with the girls himself a little bit, and couldn't bring himself to do it. The movie scores a 5/10, but an extra 2 if you were pissed beforehand wink